These easy roasted Air fryer beets are ready in 15 minutes and great as a side dish, snack, or topping. Perfectly tender and caramelized, they're Whole30, Paleo, Vegan, and Gluten-free.
The roasted beets come out tender with caramelized edges. Beets have an earthy flavor and roasting them enhances their natural sweetness. They are great as a snack, a healthy side dish or as a topping for your salads or grain bowls. Another way to serve these roasted beets are on some beaten Greek yogurt. I remember seeing a recipe like that in one of Ottolenghi's books and it has become a favorite of mine.
Beets are a nutritious root vegetable with plenty of fiber and vitamins. According to Healthline, they're rich in Folate, Manganese and Copper. It's found to be effective in blood pressure control when consumed regularly. Beets are healthy and should be included in your meals regularly. Make these Air fryer roasted beets a part of your dinner rotation.
If you're looking for more Air fryer side dishes or Air fryer vegetable dishes, check our Air Fryer Recipe collection.
- Why We Love Air Fryer Beets:
- Ingredients and Notes
- How To Make Air Fryer Roasted Beets
- Tips for Success
- How To Serve Roasted Beets
- Seasonings and Variations
- How To Roast Beets In The Oven
- Common Questions
- Do you have to peel beets before roasting?
- Can you air fry canned beets?
- How to cook whole beets in Air fryer?
- How To Store Roasted Beets
- More Air Fryer Side Dish Recipes You'll Love:
Why We Love Air Fryer Beets:
- Easy to make in the Air fryer, takes about 15 minutes
- Perfectly tender with caramelized edges
- Great snack, side dish or topping
Ingredients and Notes
- Beets - I used a pound of medium to small beets without the greens. You can use beets with greens too. Simply cut the greens and use them for salads or stir fry. There are different varieties of beets like Red beets, golden beets, and striped beets. Red beet is the common variety and that's what I've used. The other varieties will slightly differ in taste but the preparation and cooking time is the same for all.
- Oil - olive oil, avocado oil, or any neutral cooking oil
- Vinegar - I've used white vinegar to give a slightly tangy taste and to balance the sweetness. Substitute with balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar. You can skip the vinegar too if you prefer.
- Garlic powder
- Kosher Salt, Ground black pepper
How To Make Air Fryer Roasted Beets
Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
Beets can stain your fingers easily. Use gloves before prepping the beets.
Start by cutting the ends off the beets. Peel beets using a peeler or a paring knife. Cut the beet into quarters and then into evenly sized pieces. You can cube them into 1-inch cubes too. I find it easier to cut into pieces than cube them.
In a large mixing bowl, toss the beets with olive oil, and vinegar.
Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and toss the beets so it gets coated with seasoning evenly.
Preheat Air fryer to 400F. Place the beets in the Air fryer basket. Air fry beets at 400F for 15 to 18 minutes shaking the basket halfway through until fork tender and caramelized on the edges.
Remove the roasted beets from the Air fryer and serve warm.
Tips for Success
- Buy beets that are firm, dark red, and have no bruises or soft spots. The fresher the better.
- Preheat Air fryer - or add extra cooking time.
- Don't stack the beets in more than half the basket. Cook in batches if needed. After cooking, warm all the air-fried beets in the Air fryer for a minute or two.
How To Serve Roasted Beets
Roasted beets are very versatile and can be served in many ways.
- Serve it as a delicious side dish with any protein like Air fryer Chicken Legs, Chicken Breast, or Steak Bites.
- They'll also be great as a snack with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Serve them in salads or grain bowls.
- I like to have air-fried beets with Greek yogurt like in the picture. Beat Greek yogurt with a pinch of salt and spread in a serving bowl. Top with roasted beets, crumbled feta cheese and chopped parsley. Drizzle with some chili oil. It's creamy, tangy, sweet and spicy and so delicious!
Seasonings and Variations
Here are some seasoning ideas to try with your Air-fried beets to give it variety.
- Spicy - make it spicy by adding ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika, cayenne pepper or red chili powder or red chili flakes.
- Herbs - Try it with Italian seasoning, dried rosemary, or Herb de Provence.
- Seasoning mix - Replace the seasoning blend in the recipe with 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning or Ranch seasoning mix.
- Sweet - Add in a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup with salt and pepper and toss to coat before roasting.
How To Roast Beets In The Oven
- To roast beets in the oven, preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place the seasoned beets on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Do you have to peel beets before roasting?
I prefer to peel the beets before roasting in the Air fryer. If you are roasting the whole beet you can leave the peel on.
Can you air fry canned beets?
You can air fry canned beets but they won't get caramelized like the fresh beets because the water content is high. You can warm the canned beats in the Air fryer.
How to cook whole beets in Air fryer?
To cook whole beets in the air fryer, rinse the beets and pat dry. Coat with oil and air fryer at 380F for 30 minutes until they're fork-tender.
How To Store Roasted Beets
Store leftover roasted beets in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Reheat them in the air fryer at 350F for a few minutes until warm.
You can definitely freeze these beets, but the frozen and thawed beets are better used in beet soup or beet hummus. To freeze, place them in a freezer bag and freeze for 3 months. Thaw them in the fridge or reheat them in the air fryer.
More Air Fryer Side Dish Recipes You'll Love:
- Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
Check out my Air Fryer Recipe Collection for more Air fryer recipes.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you can give me a rating and comment! Share it with your family and friends! ❤️
Easy Roasted Air Fryer Beets
- 1 pound beets
- 1½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon vinegar Balsamic, white or red wine
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Start by cutting the ends off the beets. Use a peeler or a paring knife to peel the skin.
- Cut the beet into quarters and then into evenly sized pieces. You can cube them into 1-inch cubes too.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the beets with olive oil, and vinegar. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and toss the beets so it gets coated with seasoning evenly.
- Preheat Air fryer to 400F. Place the beets in the Air fryer basket. Air fry beets at 400F for 15 to 18 minutes shaking the basket halfway through until fork tender and caramelized on the edges.
- Remove the roasted beets from the Air fryer and serve warm. If you're cooking several batches, after cooking the last batch, warm all the beets in the Air fryer for a few minutes.
- Beets can stain your fingers easily. Use gloves before prepping the beets.
- Store leftover roasted beets in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- Reheat them in the air fryer at 350F for a few minutes until warm.
- You can definitely freeze these beets, but the frozen and thawed beets are better used in beet soup or beet hummus. To freeze beets, place them in a freezer bag and freeze for 3 months. Thaw them in the fridge or reheat them in the air fryer.