Make crispy yet tender broccoli in the air fryer! They are crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. A quick and healthy side dish the whole family will love!
Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli
I've been in love with my air fryer ever since I bought it. It's easy to make healthy dishes like this crispy roasted broccoli in the air fryer. These Crispy Air Fryer Cauliflower, Quick and Easy Asparagus and Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes are some of our favorite healthy vegetarian dishes to make in the Air fryer. For more recipes check our Air Fryer Recipe Collection.
I used my oven to roast broccoli before I got my air fryer. But depending on how much time I have to put dinner on the table- that roasted broccoli never made it to the table, or worst yet was completely burnt or at times undercooked.
The air fryer is a godsend to us busy moms. It takes 10 minutes to get perfect air-fried crispy broccoli. I have a secret trick that I use the make broccoli tender but crispy. So read on!
If you've come looking to make a broccoli side dish, you're already off to a healthy start. Kids will love this dish. Do you know broccoli is known for many of its health benefits?
- Broccoli is relatively high in protein, which makes up 29% of its dry weight, compared to most vegetables.
- It has fiber which promotes gut health, prevents various diseases, and aid in weight loss. One cup (91 grams) of raw broccoli provides 2.3 grams of fiber, which is about 5–10% of the Daily Value (DV).
- Broccoli has many vitamins including Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, and many other nutrients.
How to roast broccoli in the air fryer
First, you need to separate the broccoli into florets. Cut them into similar sizes to roast evenly.
Toss the florets, with oil, salt, black pepper, and parmesan. This could also be called air fryer broccoli parmesan.
Lay the florets in a single layer on the air fryer basket. Cook in batches if needed. I used one large head of broccoli and roasted in two batches in my 5.8 qtr. air fryer.
The trick to crispy yet tender roasted broccoli is to add water - about 2 tablespoons to the air fryer basket. The steam from the water helps cook the broccoli while still being crispy. Or the broccoli will have roast edges while still being raw on the inside as the air fryer cooks faster.
Set the temperature to 375 Degree Fahrenheit and roast for 8 to 9 minutes. Shake the basket halfway through.
Once the cooking time ends, you can flip them and roast the other side too if it's not roasted enough.
Based on your air fryer model you need to roast 1 or 2 minutes more for crisp edges.
How to roast broccoli in the oven
Even though this recipe is for air fryer, we understand not everyone has an air fryer. Here's how to roast broccoli in the oven.
Preheat your oven to 420 degree Fahrenheit. Place the broccoli florets tossed in oil and seasoning on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Or until crispy on the edges.
Frozen air fryer broccoli
You can also roast broccoli from frozen in the air fryer. No need to thaw. Just add oil and seasonings to the broccoli and roast in the air fryer for 9 to 10 minutes at 380 Fahrenheit. No need to add water to the air fryer basket.
How to add flavors to the roasted broccoli
I like to keep mine simple with salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and finish with some chili flakes. There are so many other flavors you can add to broccoli before it goes to the air fryer. Here are a few suggestions:
- Toss the broccoli in olive oil, garlic powder, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and a touch of lemon juice for a Mediterranean flavor.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder and red chili powder for a spicy Indian version.
- Use taco seasoning and a touch of lime for a Mexican version.
Here are a few tips to make perfect roasted broccoli every time:
- Cut the broccoli florets into similar bite-sized pieces so they roast evenly.
- Add a tablespoon or two of water to the air fryer basket to get crispy but tender broccoli.
- Spread the broccoli in a single layer. Cook in batches if needed. After cooking, place all the broccoli in the air fryer and heat up for one minute.
I hope you'll love this dish as much as we do!
More Air Fryer Vegetable Dishes You'll Love
Check out more Air Fryer recipes at Air Fryer Recipe Collection.
Love air frying? You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or join our Free Facebook Air Frying Group.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you can give me a rating and comment! Share it with your family and friends! ❤️
Perfect Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli
- 1 large head broccoli around 1.5 lbs cut into bite sized florets
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon parmesan (fresh or pre shredded in a can)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- red chili flakes
- Toss the broccoli florets in oil, parmesan, salt and pepper. Massage the florets to get the seasonings to every nook and cranny.
- Add about 2 tablespoon of water to the air fryer basket. Place the florets in a single layer on the inner air fryer basket (perforated).
- Roast at 375°F for 8 to 9 minutes. Shake the air fryer basket half way through.
- Garnish with chili flakes and more parmesan.
- Cut the broccoli into even bite sized pieces.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of water to the air fryer basket to get crispy but tender broccoli.
- Place the broccoli in a single layer on the air fryer basket. Cook in batches. After cooking, place all the broccoli in the basket and heat it up for a minute.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge, covered for 2 to 3 days.
Tried this & it only gave me burnt results
Oh! Sorry about that. Maybe reduce the temperature from 375 to 360. Or try reducing the cooking time for about 5 mins. Shake the air fryer basket halfway through.