These Yellow Cake Mix Cookie Bars with chocolate chips are the BEST ever! Incredibly easy and quick to make, they're good as my Yellow Cake Mix Cookies but feed a crowd.
If you're looking for a super quick, super easy dessert recipe these cake mix cookie bars are perfect for you! Chewy and soft they're made with only 5 ingredients. The chocolate chip cookie bars are loaded with gooey chocolate chips in every bite.
With just a few simple ingredients and a quick baking time, these bars are the perfect solution for a last-minute dessert, treat or a sweet snack on the go. Enjoy freshly baked cookie bars with a glass of milk or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a decadent dessert.
No more measuring flour and 10 other ingredients and chilling dough. When you have a houseful of teenagers looking for a snack or dessert you want something simple and quick. And these cookie bars are always a huge hit. They are also a hit at parties, potlucks, and bake sales.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Feeds a crowd - these easy cake mix cookie bars are my dessert of choice for any potluck, parties, get-togethers or when I have a house full of kids.
- Only five ingredients - one of them being your favorite boxed cake mix and a few pantry staples.
- Quick and easy - freshly baked chewy cookie bars in less than 30 minutes.
- Anybody can make it - a great recipe for kids or beginner bakers.
- Soft, chewy and so delicious - These cookie bars tastes so amazing you won't be able to stop at just one.
- Yellow cake mix - A box of cake mix. Some brands I'd like to use are:
- Betty Crocker
- Duncan Hines
*We aren't adding the ingredients and quantities listed in the box to make the cookies.
- Eggs - room temperature large eggs
- Oil - any vegetable oil, light olive oil or melted butter
- Vanilla Extract - this is totally optional but I like a bit more vanilla flavor in my cookie bars.
- Chocolate chips - you can use any kind of chocolate chips you have in hand. I also topped these bars with M&M because they look so pretty.
How To Make Cake Mix Cookie Bars
*Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix, lightly beaten eggs, oil and vanilla extract. The batter will be very sticky.
STEP THREE: Mix in the chocolate chips.
STEP FOUR: Transfer the batter to the lined baking pan. Using a rubber spatula or your fingers, spread the batter evenly in the baking dish. Place M&Ms or more chocolate chips on top of the cookie dough and press down a bit.
STEP FIVE: Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let the cookie bars cool down for a couple of minutes and transfer them to a wire rack. Slice them into bars. Enjoy freshly baked cookie bars with a glass of milk!
- Use a cooking spray to grease the baking dish so the parchment will stick to it.
- Use a hand mixer or a stand mixer to mix the batter.
- The batter will be hard and sticky. You can mix in a tablespoon or two of milk to make it easier to work with.
- Wet your fingers and smooth the batter to spread it evenly on the baking dish. You can also use a damp rubber spatula or back of a spoon.
- This cake mix cookie bars recipe makes 24 cake bars. You can slice them into large bars if you prefer.
Cake Mix: Vanilla cake mix, white cake mix or funfetti cake mixes can be used too. You can also use a strawberry cake mix for a fun twist.
Flavourings: I like to add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to my yellow cake mix. But feel free to add cinnamon, pumpkin spice or any other spices you like.
Candy: You can add any candy and here are some fun add-ins you can try:
- milk chocolate chips
- white chocolate chips
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- peanut butter chips
- butterscotch chips
How To Store Cake Mix Cookie Bars
Storage: Once cooled, store the cake mix bars in an airtight container for 4-5 days. Note that they will harden a bit as they sit.
You can also store them wrapped in a plastic wrap in the fridge if you prefer.
How To Freeze
These cookie bars also freeze well. This is especially useful during holidays when you need extra.
Cool completely then store the bars in an airtight container or bag and keep it in the freezer. They'll keep up to 3 months.
Thaw the cookie bars overnight in the fridge. You can reheat the cookie bars in the oven at 350F for a few minutes. I find it easy to microwave these bars if I want to enjoy a quick treat.
What Else Can Be Made With Cake Mix?
Boxed cake mixes are not only for cakes. You'll be surprised how versatile these cake mix recipes are. These cake mixes go on sale often, so grab a few and try these delicious recipes.
I love making cookies with them because they're super easy and convenient. Here are my two favorites:
Also, they can be used to make mini cakes, muffins and also as a crust for bars and pies.
Best Cake Mix Cookie Bars With Chocolate Chips
- 9" x 13" baking dish
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup M&Ms optional
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix, lightly beaten eggs, oil and vanilla extract. The batter will be very sticky.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the lined baking dish. Using a spatula or your fingers, spread the batter evenly in the baking dish. Place M&Ms or more chocolate chips on top of the cookie dough and press down a bit.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let the cookie bars cool down for a couple of minutes and transfer them to a wire rack. Slice them into bars.
- You can substitute more chocolate chips instead of M&Ms. Use any kind of chocolate chips or candy you prefer.
- The batter will be hard and sticky. You can thin it down with a tablespoon of milk.
- Use a rubber spatula or wet your fingers to spread the evenly on the baking dish.
- Once cooled, store the cooke mix bars in an airtight container for 4-5 days. Note that they will harden a bit as they sit. You can also store them in the fridge.
- They'll keep in the freezer up to 3 months.