These yellow cake mix cookies with sprinkles are your answer to impressive and easy cookies in just 20 minutes like you labored in the kitchen all day. You only need a box of cake mix and 3 more ingredients to make this easy cake mix cookie recipe.
These yellow cake mix cookies with sprinkles are fun to make with your kids or family. They'll have a great time making these cookies during sleepovers or get-togethers. If you're a fan of chocolate, check out these easy Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies with all sorts of yummy mix-ins. If you want to feed a crowd try this Cake Mix Cookie Bars with Chocolate Chips.
These yellow cake mix cookies are fudgy on the inside, crisp on the inside, and absolutely delicious with a mild cake-like flavor. You can add sprinkles, candy bits, or chocolate chips.
The ingredients list couldn't be any simpler. All you need is a box of yellow cake mix, eggs, oil, and some delicious add-ins. Mix it all and bake for 10 minutes for these soft and chewy cookies. How easy can it get?
No more measuring flour and 10 other ingredients and chilling dough. They're perfect when you're craving a cookie with a glass of milk. These cookies are always a huge hit at parties, potlucks, and bake sales.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Few ingredients - one of them being your favorite boxed cake mix.
- Quick and easy - freshly baked cookies in less than 30 minutes.
- Anybody can make it - the recipe is so simple, kids or beginner bakers will be cookie masters in no time.
- Soft, chewy and so delicious - These cookies taste so good just like the regular cookies but with little effort.
Ingredients and Notes
- Yellow cake mix - You need a golden or yellow boxed cake mix for this recipe. Vanilla cake mix, white cake mix or funfetti cake mixes can be used too. Some brands I'd like to use are
- Betty Crocker
- Duncan Hines
*We aren't adding the ingredients and quantities listed in the box to make the cookies.
- Eggs - room temperature large eggs
- Oil - any vegetable oil, light olive oil or melted butter
How To Make Yellow Cake Mix Cookies
*Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, add eggs and whisk them lightly. Stir in the oil. Add the cake mix and continue to mix until the dough forms. It will be very sticky.
STEP THREE: Fold in the sprinkles.
STEP FOUR: Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the cake batter and drop them on the baking sheet 2 inches apart. They should be about 1 to 1.5 tablespoons in size. If you don't have a cookie scoop, lightly grease a tablespoon and your palms with cooking oil and form the dough into balls. This will prevent the dough from sticking. Place some sprinkles on top of each cookie.
STEP FIVE: Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the top looks set. They'll harden as they cool.
STEP SIX: Transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy freshly baked cookies with a glass of milk!
- Use a cookie scoop - If you want equal-sized cookies, a cookie scoop is a must. A medium cookie scoop, which is the size of 1.5 tablespoons is ideal. It makes 22 cookies. If you want large cookies, use an ice cream scoop, which would make about 14 cookies.
- Line the cookie sheet - don't forget to line the cookie sheet with parchment paper to remove the cookies easily.
- Customize - you can add different mix-ins or toppings to really make these cookies stand out.
- Try adding semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, and nuts like chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Try frosting the cookies.
- You can also make cookie sandwiches with frosting or buttercream filling.
How To Store Yellow Cake Mix Cookies
Once cooled, store the cookies in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. Note that the cookies will become soft and cake-like as they sit.
You can also store them in the fridge if you prefer.
How To Freeze
These cookies freeze well. This is especially useful during holidays when you need extra cookies.
Cool completely then store the cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. You can warm it in the oven at 350˚F for a few minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don't want the puffed-up, soft cake mix cookies I have a tip for you. It's called the "bang" method.
Bang the cookie sheet on the counter several times as soon as you take it out of the oven. The cookies will spread and you'll have nice, flat cookies as seen in the pictures.
A yellow cake mix is very versatile and you make many variations of cookies with this basic mix.
I'd try adding some spices like pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice to make spiced cookies.
Or sprinkle some powdered sugar before baking to make crinkle cookies.
You can also make cookie dough with this mix by using less liquid.
More Cookie Recipes You'll Love:
- Cake Mix Cookie Bars with Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
- Glazed Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies
- Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yellow Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 yellow cake mix 15 oz
- ⅓ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup sprinkles or chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and whisk them lightly. Whisk in the oil. Add the cake mix and continue to mix until the dough forms. It will be very sticky.Fold in the sprinkles or chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the dough and drop them on the baking sheet 2 inches apart. Place some sprinkles on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the top looks set. They'll harden as they cool.
- Transfer to a wire rack. Enjoy freshly baked cookies with a glass of milk!
- Store the cookies in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. Note that the cookies will become soft and cake-like as they sit. You can also store them in the fridge if you prefer.
- To freeze, cool completely then store the cookies in an airtight container or bag and freeze for 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. You can warm it in the oven at 350˚F for a few minutes.