Sometimes the best recipes are the simplest. These chocolate cake mix cookies are fudgy, moist and so delicious and are ready in less than 20 minutes. And you only need 4 ingredients to make this easy cake mix cookie recipe.
If you're looking for a super quick, super easy chocolate cookie recipe look no further.
These chocolate cake mix cookies are fudgy on the inside, crisp on the inside studded with chocolate chunks and butterscotch chips. Every bite will take you to caramel and chocolate heaven.
The ingredients list couldn't be any simpler. All you need is a chocolate cake mix, eggs, oil, and some delicious add-ins. Mix it all and bake for 10 minutes for these soft and chewy cookies. How easy can it get?
No more measuring flour and 10 other ingredients and chilling dough. When you have a houseful of teenagers looking for a snack or dessert you want something simple and quick. And these cookies are always a huge hit. These cookies are also a hit at parties, potlucks, and bake sales.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Needs only a few ingredients - one of them being your favorite boxed chocolate cake mix.
- Quick and easy - freshly baked cookies in less than 30 minutes.
- Anybody can make it - the recipe is so simple, kids or beginner bakers will be cookie masters in no time.
- Soft, chewy and so delicious - These cookies taste so good just like the regular cookies but with little effort.
Ingredients and Notes
- Chocolate cake mix - There is a variety of boxed cake mix on the market, from regular to "Devil's Food Cake", "Chocolate Fudge", "Super Moist" etc. You can use any boxed mix that you'd normally use for a chocolate cake. Some cake mix brands I'd like to use are
- Betty Crocker
- Duncan Hines
*We aren't adding the ingredients and quantities listed in the box to make the cookies.
- Eggs - room temperature large eggs
- Oil - any vegetable oil or melted butter
- Chocolate chunks and butterscotch chips - these are the two combos I always use for this cookie but here are some fun add-ins you can try:
- white chocolate chips
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- peanut butter chips
How To Make cake mix chocolate cookies
*Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, lightly beaten eggs, and oil. Mix until the dough forms. It will be very sticky.
STEP THREE: Mix in the chocolate chunks and butterscotch chips.
STEP FOUR: Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough and drop them on the baking sheet 2 inches apart. They should be about 1 to 1.5 tablespoons in size. If you don't have a cookie scoop, lightly grease a tablespoon and your palms with cooking oil and form the dough into balls. This will prevent the dough from sticking.
STEP FIVE: Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the top looks set. They'll harden as they cool. Place a few chocolate chunks and butterscotch chips on top of each cookie right out of the oven.
STEP SIX: Transfer to a wire rack. Enjoy freshly baked cookies with a glass of milk!
- Use a cookie scoop - If you want equal-sized cookies, a cookie scoop is a must. A medium cookie scoop, which is the size of 1.5 tablespoons is ideal. It makes 22 cookies. If you want large cookies, use an ice cream scoop, which would make about 14 cookies.
- Line the cookie sheet - don't forget to line the cookie sheet with parchment paper to remove the cookies easily.
- Place the extras on the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. - once you remove the cookies out of the oven, place the chocolate chips or other add-ins on top of each cookie so that it sets in the warm cookie.
How To Store chocolate cake mix cookies
Once cooled, store the cookies in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. Note that the cookies will become soft and cake-like as they sit.
You can also store them in the fridge if you prefer.
How To Freeze
These cookies freeze well. This is especially useful during holidays when you need extra cookies.
Cool completely then store the cookies in an airtight container or bag and freeze for 3 months. You can warm it in the oven at 350F for a few minutes.
How to make chocolate crinkle cookies from cake mix?
Another fun cookie to make from a boxed cake mix is chocolate crinkle cookies.
Scoop the cookie dough into a ball and dip it in powdered sugar and place them on the baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes.
How to prevent cookies from puffing up?
If you don't want the puffed-up, soft cake mix cookies I have a tip for you.
Bang the cookie sheet on the counter several times as soon as you take it out of the oven. The cookies will spread and you'll have nice, flat cookies as seen in the pictures.
More cookie Recipes You'll Love:
- Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
- Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Glazed Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix 15 oz
- ½ cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- ½ cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add cake mix, eggs, oil and mix until combined. The dough will be sticky. Mix chocolate chunks and butterscotch chips in.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, drop dough on the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the tops are set. Cookies will be soft but will harden once cooled. Place a few chocolate chunks and butterscotch chips on top of each cookie while they're still warm.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.