These Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters are a great way to get your kids to eat their veggie. Plus, they are easy and delicious so you can impress your friends.
The Best Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
These are the best zucchini fritters hands down! And I don't use the word "best" lightly. They're crispy on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside. Filled with shredded cheese, they're seasoned to perfection. These are great for picky eaters since you hardly taste the zucchini.
These air fryer zucchini fritters uses no oil and so healthy for you. No more oily fritters and it's perfect if you're watching your calories! You can also make these fritters to suit your diet needs. Simply swap the all purpose flour with gluten-free flour or a low carb, keto alternative.
You can make these zucchini patties or zucchini cakes (or however you call them) for breakfast, a light lunch or serve them as an appetizer with your favorite dipping sauces. They also make a delicious snack for hungry kids after school.
For more air fryer recipes, check my Air Fryer Recipe Collection.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Simple ingredients: great way to use up zucchini with a few pantry staples.
- Healthy: Zucchini fritters in the air fryer uses no oil and are better than deep fried ones.
- Delicious: They taste so delicious and one of the best recipes you'll find.
- Easy to make: these fritters are less messy and easy to make in the air fryer.
Zucchini: You need 2 medium zucchinis about 2 cups shredded. Once you remove the excess moisture it'll come down to about 1 cup of grated zucchini. Yellow squash can be used too.
All purpose flour: Use gluten free flour or almond flour for low carb or keto zucchini fritters.
Egg: this is what binds the fritters.
Cheese: I used shredded cheddar cheese. Feel free to use parmesan cheese if you prefer.
Green onions: green onions give so much flavor to these fritters. Try not to skip them if you can. You can add fresh herbs like chopped dill or mint.
Spices: I used a mix of paprika, garlic powder, ground black pepper and salt to season them. Feel free to use more spices and herbs like onion powder and Italian seasoning etc.
How to Make Zucchini Fritters In The Air Fryer
*Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
PREP: Peel the zucchini. Shred the zucchini using a box grater. Mix the shredded zucchini with a pinch of salt and place it on a cheese cloth or a clean kitchen towel. Leave it for a few minutes. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Alternatively, you can line a baking sheet with paper towels and spread the shredded zucchini to remove excess water.
MIX: Add shredded zucchini, all purpose flour, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder and egg in to a large bowl. Stir until combined.
AIR FRY: Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper. Place about 1 tablespoon of zucchini mixture and slightly flatten it. Place as many fritters as it can fit in to your air fryer basket. You can spray with a cooking spray but this is optional.
Air fry zucchini fritters at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes. Flip and air fry for 5-8 minutes until golden brown.
*Air fryers come in different sizes and models, and you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Remove from the Air Fryer and serve with a dollop of sour cream and some sliced scallions on top.
- For crispy zucchini fritters, you need to remove as much water as possible from the zucchini.
- Air fry fritters as soon as you mix the batter. The longer the batter sits, the more watery it will be.
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Place the fritters in a single layer. Don't over crowd the air fryer basket.
Storing and Reheating
Storage - Store leftover fritters in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Reheat - Reheat the fritters in the Air fryer at 350˚F for a few minutes until warm through. You can also microwave the fritters or reheat them in a hot oven.
I do peel the zucchini but not fully leaving some of the peel behind. You can grate the zucchini with the peel on.
The secret to keeping the zucchini fritters from getting soggy and to crisp up, is to remove as much moisture as possible from the zucchini.
I'd also recommend making the fritters as soon as you mix the batter. The more the batter sits the more watery it will be.
You can air fry the zucchini fritters for an extra 2-3 minutes until they crisp up.
Absolutely. These fritters freeze up beautifully. Once cooled, place the fritters in a baking sheet and keep in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag. They'll keep in the freezer up to 3 months.
Thaw them in fridge overnight and reheat in the air fryer.
More Recipes You'll Love:
Best Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- 2 zucchini medium
- ⅓ cup All purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 scallions sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Peel and grate the zucchini using a box grater.
- Mix the shredded zucchini with a pinch of salt and place it on a cheesecloth. Leave it for a few minutes and squeeze the excess water out.Alternatively, you can line a baking sheet with paper towels and spread the shredded zucchini to remove excess liquid.
- Add shredded zucchini, all purpose flour, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder and egg in to a large bowl. Stir until combined.
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper. Place about 1 tablespoon of batter and slightly flatten it. Place as many fritters as it can fit in to your air fryer basket. You can spray with a cooking spray but this is optional.
- Working in batches, air fry zucchini fritters at 375˚F for 10 minutes. Flip and air fry for 5-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from air fryer and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Substitute all purpose flour with gluten free flour or almond flour for low carb, keto zucchini fritters.
- Spices & herbs: You can add onion powder, Italian seasoning or any other spices you prefer.
- Corn: You can also add ¼ cup of corn to make zucchini corn fritters.
- Store leftover fritters in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Freeze the fritters in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Reheat in the Air fryer for a few minutes until warm and crispy.