Crispy Air fryer smashed potatoes that are creamy and fluffy on the inside, are a cinch to make. They're so flavorful and make a perfect snack or side dish for any meal. Served with a dipping sauce, this will be your favorite smashed potato recipe ever!
What Are Smashed Potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are a crispy creamy potato snack that's perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or just about anytime. Baby potatoes are boiled, smashed, smothered with flavored, spiced butter, topped with cheese, and air-fried to perfection. They're crispy on the outside, fluffy, and creamy on the inside. Paired with my spicy mayo dipping sauce everyone will love this flavorful, easy smashed potato recipe!
If you're looking for more Air fryer vegetable or snack dishes, check our Air Fryer Recipe collection.
- What Are Smashed Potatoes?
- Why We Love Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes:
- How To Make Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Tips To Make Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- What To Serve With Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Topping Ideas
- Can you make smashed potatoes entirely in the air fryer?
- How to bake smashed potatoes in the oven?
- How To Store/Reheat Smashed Potatoes
- More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love:
Why We Love Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes:
- Crispy, spicy, cheesy on the outside; fluffy, creamy, on the inside and so delicious
- Perfectly seasoned and so flavorful
- Ready in about 15 minutes
- Healthy snack with less oil than deep-frying. They're naturally gluten-free too.
- Potatoes - I recommend baby potatoes, the smaller the better. You can use white or red potatoes.
- Butter - butter is so good with potatoes. You can substitute with olive oil or avocado oil or your favorite. You won't need much oil anyways to make it crispy and crunchy in the air fryer.
- Garlic powder - or use fresh garlic minced if you prefer.
- Smoked paprika
- Kosher Salt, Ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese - freshly grated or powdered from a can. You can substitute with some mozzarella cheese too. Omit the butter and cheese for dairy-free version.
- Red pepper flakes
How To Make Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
Rinse baby potatoes and add them to a saucepan with 4 cups of water or enough to cover them completely. Add a teaspoon of salt and bring to boil under high heat. Boil potatoes for about 15 to 20 minutes until fork-tender. Drain the potatoes, put them back in the pan and let them sit on the stove for all the moisture to evaporate with the residual heat.
Place the potatoes on a lined baking sheet, and using the bottom of a glass smash the potatoes flat.
In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter with garlic powder, paprika, salt and black pepper. Brush the melted butter on the smashed potatoes.
Preheat Air fryerat 390F for 3 to 5 minutes. Top the smashed potatoes with parmesan cheese and red chili flakes. Brush the air fryer with oil. Use a spatula and place the potatoes in the Air fryer basket in a single layer.
Air fry at 390F for 12 to15 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy. Use a spatula to lift them up from the air fryer. Sprinkle chopped parsley and more cheese on top. Serve hot with spicy mayo dipping sauce.
You'll need to do two batches with this recipe. Once the second batch is done you can warm all the potatoes in the air fryer for a minute or two.
Tips To Make Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Preheat Air fryer - or add extra cooking time.
- Cook off extra moisture - after draining the potatoes, leave them in the pan on the stove to let the moisture evaporate with the residual heat. This prevents mushy watery potatoes and makes them more crispy and crunchy.
- Skin on - leave the skin on for more flavor and crunch.
- Space them out -Place the potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer and don't overcrowd them.
- Cook in batches - this ties in with the earlier tip. For 1 pound of baby potatoes, I need to do two batches in my Cosori 5.8qrt Air fryer. This ensures I have enough space for the hot air to circulate cooking them evenly.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
These flavorful crispy garlic smashed potatoes make the perfect side dish or snack. Here are some serving ideas:
Here are some topping ideas for you to try with these potatoes.
- Top with parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese. Use vegan cheese or omit the cheese altogether to make it dairy-free.
- Add your favorite seasoning or spice mix to the melted butter in this recipe. Try adding cajun seasoning, taco seasoning or lemon pepper seasoning for more variety.
- Instead of red pepper flakes, use Everything bagel seasoning.
Can you make smashed potatoes entirely in the air fryer?
I like to cook the potatoes the old-fashioned way by boiling for this recipe. That being said, you can make smashed potatoes entirely in the air fryer. Use this Air fryer Baby Potatoes recipe to cook baby potatoes whole in the Air fryer. Once cooked, smash the potatoes, brush with flavored butter and air fry them until golden and crispy.
How to bake smashed potatoes in the oven?
To make smashed potatoes in the oven,
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Follow the recipe and prep the potatoes in a baking sheet.
- Bake the potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and crispy.
How To Store/Reheat Smashed Potatoes
These crispy crushed potatoes taste best when they're fresh and warm. However, if you have any leftovers, they'll keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Reheat them in the air fryer at 375F for a few minutes until warm and crisp. You can top them with more butter, cheese before crisping them up.
More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love:
- Air Fryer Roast Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Steaks
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
Check out my Air Fryer Recipe Collection for more Air fryer recipes.
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 4 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- chopped parsley to serve
- Add potatoes to a saucepan with 4 cups of water or enough to cover them completely. Add one teaspoon of salt and bring to boil under high heat. Cook the potatoes for about 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, put them back in the pan and let them sit on the stove for all the moisture to evaporate with the residual heat.
- Place the potatoes on a lined baking sheet, and using a bottom of a glass smash the potatoes down.
- Preheat the Air fryer to 390F. Brush the Air fryer basket or tray with oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter with garlic powder, paprika, salt and black pepper. Brush the melted butter on the smashed potatoes. Top with parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.
- Using a spatula carefully transfer the potatoes to the air fryer and air fry for 12 to 15 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with your favorite dipping sauce or as a side dish.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
- Reheat in the air fryer for a few minutes until warm and crispy. Top with more butter or cheese if necessary.