This air fryer spaghetti squash makes a healthy, low-carb, low-calorie alternative to pasta. It's so easy to make, requires only a few ingredients, and ready in 25 minutes. It comes out caramelized on top and tender.
If you haven't tried making spaghetti squash in the Air fryer you're missing out. I used to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave but not anymore. I love cooking spaghetti squash in the Air fryer. It comes out perfectly caramelized on top and fork-tender. If you love cooking squashes, try Air Fryer Acorn Squash. It's another favorite of mine.
Air fryer spaghetti squash is a regular in my meals. I love how easy it is to make it. It takes less than 30 minutes to prep and cook spaghetti squash.
Spaghetti squash is brushed with oil and seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked until tender. I use the strands as an alternative to pasta with a meat sauce or marinara sauce. I've kept the seasoning simple as the spaghetti squash is used as a pasta alternative. If you're eating the squash on its own, you can use your favorite seasoning mixes and top it with parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese. It will be delicious!
Cooked spaghetti squash can be a great side dish with any meat or poultry based dishes. If you like to have it sweet, drizzle with melted butter, brown sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
If you're looking for more Air fryer side dishes or Air fryer vegetable dishes, check our Air Fryer Recipe collection.
- Why We Love Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash:
- What Is Spaghetti Squash?
- Ingredients and Notes
- How To Pick Spaghetti Squash
- How To Cut Spaghetti Squash
- How To Make Spaghetti Squash In Air Fryer
- Expert Tips
- How To Serve
- Seasonings and Variations
- Questions About Spaghetti Squash In Air Fryer
- How to know when spaghetti squash is cooked?
- How to cook whole spaghetti squash in the Air fryer?
- How to bake spaghetti squash in the oven?
- How To Store and Reheat
- More Air Fryer Side Dish Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Why We Love Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash:
- Healthy, low-carb, and low-calorie - a great alternative to pasta
- Easy to make in the Air fryer, takes about 25 minutes
- Great and filling side dish
What Is Spaghetti Squash?
Spaghetti squash is a type of winter squash and belongs to the same family as pumpkin, butternut squash, and zucchini. It is light yellow to dark yellow in color and a very nutritious vegetable. Spaghetti squash has sweet, yellow-orange flesh that has a slightly nutty flavor. When cooked, the flesh shreds into long strands or noodles, just like "spaghetti".
Like other winter squash, spaghetti squash is highly nutritious, providing a quality source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It's low in calories, high in Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Potassium, Magnesium, and plenty of fiber.
It's naturally gluten-free and vegan and a great choice for those with dietary restrictions.
Ingredients and Notes
- Spaghetti Squash - small to medium-sized squash weighing about 2 pounds that can fit in your Air fryer.
- Oil - olive oil or melted butter
- Salt, Ground black pepper
How To Pick Spaghetti Squash
- You'll want to pick a spaghetti squash that fits in your Air fryer. I'd say not more than 2 pounds and a small or medium-sized one. You can cook it whole if it fits inside.
- Choose a firm spaghetti squash that's also yellow in color.
- Look for any bruising or soft spots on the spaghetti squash and avoid buying those.
- The stem has to be firm and dry and not soft.
How To Cut Spaghetti Squash
If you have never cut spaghetti squash before it might seem intimidating. But not to worry, it's super easy to do. You just need a sharp knife, chopping board, and a kitchen towel.
Rinse and dry the squash. Use a sharp knife and trim a little off of both ends. Place a kitchen towel underneath the squash so it won't slide. Cut the center from top to bottom. Slice through the spaghetti squash to halve.
The peel is hard and it needs some effort to cut in the beginning but should slice through smoothly after that. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds, membrane, and discard.
How To Make Spaghetti Squash In Air Fryer
Brush the spaghetti squash with olive oil. Sprinkle salt on both halves.
Sprinkle ground black pepper liberally. Preheat the Air fryer to 350F. Place the two halves, cut side up in the Air fryer basket. I love to cook cut side up as it gets browned and caramelized on top.
Air fry spaghetti squash at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes until tender and caramelized on top. Use a fork to check whether it's tender inside. The fork shouldn't have any resistance and should be able to separate the strands easily.
I know most recipes specify to cook at 400F but if you cook at a higher heat, the top might burn fast while the flesh inside is still undercooked. So it's better to cook on low heat to make sure the squash is fully cooked.
Separate the strands and use them as noodles or spaghetti with your favorite sauce.
- Use a kitchen towel under the squash when cutting.
- If you find it hard to cut, microwave the spaghetti squash for 5 minutes.
- Preheat Air fryer - or add extra cooking time.
- Cook on low at 350F. To make sure we don't burn the tops and undercook the flesh.
How To Serve
Cooked squash is very versatile and can be served in many ways.
Roasted spaghetti squash can be used as spaghetti or noodle substitute and can be served with meatballs and your favorite pasta sauce. Check Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs or Air Fryer Cheese Stuffed Meatballs for meatball options.
Serve spaghetti squash with marinara sauce, tomato sauce, alfredo sauce for a delicious low-carb meal.
Seasonings and Variations
Don't limit yourself to salt and pepper as spaghetti squash taste delicious with a wide variety of seasonings, both savory and sweet.
- Use cayenne pepper/red chili flakes, garlic powder, onion powder with salt, and black pepper.
- Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Use chopped fresh parsley or coriander.
- melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- with maple syrup or honey
Questions About Spaghetti Squash In Air Fryer
How to know when spaghetti squash is cooked?
When cooked, the top should be a little browned. The inside flesh should be soft. Use a fork or a knife to test the doneness. It shouldn't find any resistance as it pierces. If the spaghetti squash is crunchy and not soft, air fry for a few extra minutes until it's done.
How to cook whole spaghetti squash in the Air fryer?
If you can fit in a whole spaghetti squash in the Air fryer, this is how to cook it.
- Pierce the spaghetti squash with a fork or a knife all around.
- Preheat Air fryer to 400F.
- Place the spaghetti squash in the Air fryer and cook for 30 to 35 minutes until tender. Check doneness with a fork. There shouldn't be any resistance when piercing.
- Remove the spaghetti squash and let it cool.
- Cut in half and fluff the strands with a fork. Add melted butter and seasonings. Or remove the noodles to use in other dishes.
How to bake spaghetti squash in the oven?
To bake it in the oven, bake spaghetti squash in a preheated oven, at 375F for 25 to 30 minutes until tender.
How To Store and Reheat
Store leftover spaghetti squash in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
You can reheat them in the microwave or air fry them for a few minutes at 350F.
More Air Fryer Side Dish Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
Check out my Air Fryer Recipe Collection for more Air fryer recipes.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you can give me a rating and comment! Share it with your family and friends! ❤️
Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash about 2 pounds
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut a little of both ends. Place the spaghetti squash on a kitchen towel and cut lengthwise into halves. Scoop the seeds and membranes out with a spoon and discard.
- Brush the cut halves with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat Air fryer to 350F. Place the spaghetti squash halves in the Air fryer basket.
- Air fryer for 25 to 30 minutes until browned on top and fork tender.
- Remove the squash from the Air fryer and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Fluff with a fork to seperate the strands. Serve with your choice of sauce and cheese.
- Cook on low - Cooking at higher heat like 400F would leave the top burnt and flesh undercooked. To avoid this, I cook the squash at 350F until it's tender.
- Store- leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- Reheat - in the microwave or air fry at 350F for a few minutes until warm.
- Seasoning options -
- To serve spaghetti squash on its own, season with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- For a sweet version, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with brown sugar or drizzle of maple syrup.