Air Fryer Acorn Squash is a delicious and healthy dish that you can make easily in your Air Fryer. The roasted acorn squash is perfect for stuffing, mashing or as a side dish.
Air Fryer Acorn Squash
You'll find plenty of squash varities in the Fall and Winter. I'm a big fan of squash and I've tried all the other varities except acorn squash. When they went on sale recently at my local store I knew I had to try it.
I roasted a small acorn squash in the Air fryer and I was pleasently surprised with how good it tasted. It has a mild sweet taste. The inside flesh was fork tender with a caramelized outer layer.
Air fryer acorn squash is a regular in my meals. I love how easy it is to make acorn squash in the Air fryer. It takes less than 30 minutes to prep and cook acorn squash.
Acorn squash can taste bland so a good brushing of oil or melted butter and plenty of seasoning is needed. I love mashed acorn squash as a side dish with Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs or Cheese Stuffed Meatballs along with marinara or pasta sauce. Cooked acorn squash can be a great side dish with any meat or poultry based dishes. If you like to have it sweet, drizzle with melted butter, brown sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Acorn squash is a healthy low calorie vegetable. It's perfect specially after holidays or when you've indulged a bit and want to have a simple, yet healthy meal.
If you're looking for more Air fryer side dishes, check our Air Fryer Recipe collection.
Why We Love Air Fryer Acorn Squash:
- Easy to make in the Air fryer
- Great side dish
What Is Acorn Squash?
Acorn squash is a type of winter squash and belongs to the same family of pumpkin, butternut squash and zucchini. It has an acorn-like shape with ridged skin that can vary in color from dark green to white. Acorn squash have sweet, yellow-orange flesh that has a slightly nutty flavor. They’re grown in many countries throughout the world but especially popular in North America.
Like other winter squash, acorn squash are highly nutritious, providing a quality source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It's low in calories, high in Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Potassium, Magnesium and plenty of fiber.
It's naturally gluten free and vegan and a great choice for those with dietary restrictions.
- Acorn Squash - small to medium sized squash weighing about 2 pounds.
- Oil - olive oil or melted butter
- Salt, Ground black pepper
How To Cut Acorn Squash
I prefer to cut the squash in half so it fits my 5.8 quart Air fryer. If you want to cook a whole acorn squash you might have to use a bigger air fryer or cook it in the oven.
If you have never cut an acorn squash before it might seem intimidating. But not to worry, it's super easy to do. You just need a sharp knife and a chopping board.
Wash and dry the acorn squash. Use a sharp knife and cut the center from top to bottom. Slice through the acorn squash to halve. The peel is hard and it needs some effort to cut in the beginng but should slice through smoothly after that. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds, membrane and discard.
How To Cook Acorn Squash In Air Fryer
- Wash and dry the acorn squash.
- Cut in half and scoop the seeds out.
- Brush or spray lightly with olive oil or melted butter.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Preheat the Air fryer at 380F for 3 minutes.
- Place the acorn squash halves in the air fryer basket. Cook at 380F for 20 to 25 minutes until fork tender.
- Serve warm.
Choose small acorn squash.
Oil and season - acorn squash can taste bland on it's own and oil and seasoning will help elevate the taste.
Preheat the Air fryer - or add extra cooking time.
How To Serve
Roasted squash can be used as a spaghetti substitute and can be served with meatballs and pasta sauce.
Use mashed acorn squash in smoothies to increase Vitamin C and fiber content to help with digestion.
Don't limit yourself to salt and pepper as roasted acorn squash taste delicious with a wide variety of seasonings, both savory and sweet.
- Season with brown butter, minced garlic and sage.
- To make it spicy use cayenne pepper or red chili flakes along with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
- melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- with maple syrup or honey
Questions About Acorn Squash In Air Fryer
How to know when acorn squash is cooked?
When cooked, the top should be little browned. The inside flesh should be soft. Use a fork or a knife to test the doneness. It shouldn't find any resistance as it pierces.
Do you have to peel the acorn squash before cooking?
No, you don't have to. After cooking, the acorn squash really gets soft and the peel holds it together. You can remove the peel after cooking.
Can you eat acorn squash skin?
Yes, you can. I don't normally eat it but it's edible. If you want to you can oil and season the skin as well.
Does acorn squash taste like sweet potatoes?
It tastes similar to sweet potatoes but less sweet and mild in flavor. Because it's bland it can absorb most flavors and goes well with anything.
How to bake acorn suqash in the oven?
If you want to bake it in the oven, bake at 375F for 25 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven until fork tender.
How To Store and Reheat
If you have any leftover acorn squash, store them in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for 3 days.
You can reheat them in the microwave or if you want to crisp them up air fry them for a few minutes at 350F.
More Air Fryer Side Dish Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
Check out my Air Fryer Recipe Collection for more Air fryer recipes.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you can give me a rating and comment! Share it with your family and friends! ❤️
Air Fryer Acorn Squash
- 1 small acorn squash
- 2 teaspoon olive oil or melted butter
- ground black pepper
- Wash and dry the acorn squash. Cut in half and scoop the seeds out.
- Brush or spray lightly with olive oil or melted butter. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Preheat the Air fryer at 380F for 3 minutes. Place the acorn squash halves in the air fryer basket. Cook at 380F for 20 to 25 minutes until fork tender.
- Serve warm.
- Store - in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
- Reheat - in the microwave or air fryer until warm.
- Seasoning suggestions -
- brown butter, salt, black pepper
- parmesan cheese
- red chili flakes, cayenne pepper or smoked paprika
- melted butter, brown sugar and salt
- melted butter and maple syrup