This Rotisserie Style Air Fryer whole chicken is moist and juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside. A simple foolproof whole chicken recipe that’s ready in an hour. Let me show you how to roast a whole chicken in air fryer.
Rotisserie-style chicken is handy to have in hand for quick meals or for an easy dinner. But store-bought rotisserie chicken can be bland and dry. Not anymore when you have an Air fryer! I absolutely love making rotisserie-style whole chicken in the Air fryer now. And I'm not kidding when I say, this is the best Air fryer whole chicken you'll ever have.
If you love cooking chicken in the Air fryer like I do, you'll love these Crispy and Juicy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs and Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters. For more chicken recipes, check my Air Fryer Recipe Collection.
This Air fryer whole chicken is unbelievably moist and juicy. Thanks to the skin and the spicy marinade, the delicious juices get seeped into the chicken making it tender yet so flavorful. Don't forget the chicken drippings after cooking! I save the drippings to serve on the sliced chicken or in shredded chicken and it is divine.
The hot circulating air in the Air fryer with the heating element so close to the chicken gives extra crispy skin. The chicken gets cooked in about an hour. Perfect for meal prepping on a weekend and have shredded chicken for tacos, quesadillas, soups and sandwiches.
This Air fryer whole chicken recipe is keto, low carb and gluten free.
If you have never cooked a whole chicken in the Air fryer before or nervous about it, don't be! With a few simple tips and tricks you also can cook a delicious rotisserie whole chicken right at home. Let me show you how.
- Why we love Air Fryer Whole Chicken:
- Ingredients and Notes
- How To Cook Air Fryer Rotisserie Whole Chicken
- Tips For Success
- What Size Air Fryer Do You Need?
- Substitutions and Variations
- How To Serve Air Fryer Roast Chicken
- How to Store, Reheat and Freeze
- What to do with Leftover Chicken
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What temperature do you cook a whole chicken?
- How long to cook a full chicken in an Air fryer?
- How to cook a frozen whole chicken in Air fryer?
- More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes You'll Love:
Why we love Air Fryer Whole Chicken:
- Crispy skin, tender and juicy meat
- Easy weekday meal
- Perfect for meal prepping
- Ready in an hour
- Delicious and flavor full, so much better than store-bought
Ingredients and Notes
- Whole chicken - I used a 3.5-pound whole chicken. This fits perfectly in my 5.8 quart air fryer. Use a size that fits in your Air fryer. I find that oven-type air fryers with the rotisserie option and large air fryers that are 7 quart and more can accommodate a large bird about 4 to 6 pounds. Use a smaller chicken if you have an air fryer that's less than 5.8 quart.
- Spices & Herbs - I love this spice mix on the chicken and use it often.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper - for heat. If you want to skip this, use more paprika.
- Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil - avocado oil, vegetable oil or melted butter would work.
How To Cook Air Fryer Rotisserie Whole Chicken
⁕Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
First, trim excess fat and remove the giblets and all the stuff from the cavity. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
Next, mix the spices and olive oil in a small bowl.
Then, rub the marinade all over the chicken. You can truss the chicken legs using a kitchen twine so that they stay in place. I used the same twine that came with the chicken. Wash the twine before using.
Preheat air fryer to 350F for 2 to 3 minutes. Use a non-aerosol cooking spray to coat the basket or brush with some oil.
Next, place the chicken breast side down, in the Air fryer basket. Tuck the wing tips inside the chicken on both sides, so they won't get burned. Cook for 45 minutes.
I like to use a low heat of 350F so the chicken will get cooked fully without getting the skin burnt. When cooked at higher temperatures, since the heating element is so close to the chicken, the inside will be raw while the skin gets burnt and charred.
Now, carefully flip the chicken breast-side up and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. I highly recommend you get an instant-read thermometer to check the doneness. For juicy and moist chicken, cook the chicken until the internal temperature is 165F. If it isn't done yet, cook the chicken for a few more minutes. If the skin is getting burnt, reduce the temperature.
Use tongs and remove the chicken from the Air fryer. Rest for a few minutes. Carve and serve! Don't throw the drippings. Serve it with sliced chicken or use it to make gravy.
Tips For Success
- Preheat Air fryer for faster cooking and crispy chicken.
- Line the Air fryer basket with perforated parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Air Fry the breast-side down and finish cooking with breast side-up.
- Check for doneness using an instant-read meat thermometer. The chicken should be done when the internal temperature is 165F.
- Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
What Size Air Fryer Do You Need?
I use a Cosori 5.8 quart basket type to cook a 3.5-pound whole chicken.
Use a small chicken for a smaller Air fryer.
You can cook 4 to 6 pounds of whole chicken in a 7 to 10 quart Air fryer.
Substitutions and Variations
- Spices - I use a mix of onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper paprika and cayenne pepper for heat. You can use just salt and black pepper too. Substitute the cayenne pepper with smoked paprika for less heat.
- Use Cajun seasoning - about 2 tablespoons instead of the above spice mix.
- Lemon pepper seasoning - Make Air fryer lemon pepper chicken by using 1 to 2 tablespoons of lemon pepper seasoning. Or just sprinkle some seasoning on the cooked chicken and it'll be delicious.
- Herbs - I used Italian seasoning because of the variety of the herbs I get in this mix. Make sure the dried herbs are fresh and of good quality as it makes a world of difference.
- If you like to use individual herbs, use ½ teaspoon each of oregano and thyme.
How To Serve Air Fryer Roast Chicken
You can also cook some potatoes along with the rotisserie chicken if you have space in your air fryer for a one-pot Air fryer chicken and potato dish.
Serve Air fryer whole chicken these delicious side dishes.
I like to serve the drippings- you'll have plenty in the Air fryer basket - with the sliced chicken. It's absolutely yummy and adds so much flavor.
How to Store, Reheat and Freeze
Store the cooked leftover chicken in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
Reheat chicken in the Air fryer at 320F until warm.
Freeze - cooked chicken in the freezer up to 3 months.
What to do with Leftover Chicken
If you have any leftover chicken or if you're meal prepping a whole chicken for the week, you have so many options to put that chicken to good use.
- Shred the leftover chicken, and use it for tacos, chicken quesadillas, soups and as a sandwich filling.
- Use the chicken carcass to make homemade chicken stock or broth. Check out how to make Chicken Stock/Broth In The Instant Pot here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What temperature do you cook a whole chicken?
I cook the whole chicken at 350F. This ensures your chicken gets fully cooked without getting burnt. If you have a larger Air fryer you can increase the temperature to 360F to 380F. Not more than that.
How long to cook a full chicken in an Air fryer?
I cook the full chicken for 45 minutes breast-side up. Then flip it and cook for another 15 minutes until the internal temperature is 165F.
How to cook a frozen whole chicken in Air fryer?
I take my frozen chicken out of the freezer the night before and let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
If I forget, I take it out when I remember and submerge the frozen chicken in a bowl of warm water till thawed. An hour or two would do. Throw the water out and pat the chicken dry. If the insides are still frozen that's okay. Proceed with the recipe. Check for the internal temperature of 165F. You might need to air fry the chicken a bit longer.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes You'll Love:
- Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters
- Crispy and Juicy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you can give me a rating and comment! Share it with your family and friends! ❤️
Air Fryer Whole Chicken (Rotisserie-Style)
- 1 whole chicken 3 to 3.5 pounds
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Trim excess fat and remove the giblets and all the stuff from the cavity. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Mix the olive oil with the spices in a small bowl.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken. You can truss the chicken legs using a kitchen twine so that they stay in place.
- Preheat air fryer to 350F for 2 to 3 minutes. Place the chicken breast side down, in the Air fryer basket. Tuck the wing tips inside the chicken on both sides, so they won't get burned. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Turn the chicken breast-side up and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. Or until the internal temperature in the thickest part is 165F.
- Remove the chicken from the Air fryer and let it rest for 5 minutes. Carve and serve.
- Store- the cooked leftover chicken in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
- Reheat chicken in the Air fryer at 320F until warm.
- Freeze - cooked chicken in the freezer up to 3 months.