Crispy, juicy and full of flavor- these Air fryer chicken thighs are ready in under 30 minutes. They are an easy, quick and healthy dinner recipe you'll come back to again and again!
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
These chicken thighs in the air fryer are a game changer! They are juicy with crispy, crunchy skin. Thanks to the spices and seasonings used, they are full of flavor! No more bland chicken in the air fryer!
You guys know I love my air fryer since I'm experimenting and posting air fryer recipes in the site now. I love how I can get the crispy texture without turning on the oven or deep frying. My family loves anything crispy and roasted, so these air fryer chicken thighs are on our weekly dinner rotation.
I use a homemade spice and seasoning mix and an extra ingredient to make the chicken thighs taste extra delicious!
Why I love this
Healthy - My biggest reason to make air fryer recipes. I love how you can get the crispy texture without frying and with minimal fat. And these air fryer chicken thighs are low carb and keto too.
Quick - This recipe is a breeze to make- less than 30 minutes. No preheating required for the Air fryer. Put the marinated chicken thighs in the air fryer and start the timer.
So Easy - This recipe is so simple and easy with a few pantry staples yet delivers big bold flavors, gourmet style!
Air Fryer fried chicken thighs only need a few ingredients that you probably have in your pantry.
- Chicken thighs - Skin on, with bones: makes meat juicier. You can choose to wash the chicken or not. I wash the chicken. Whether you choose to wash or not, make sure you pat dry the chicken.
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper or paprika or both
- Lemon juice
- Mayonnaise - this is my secret weapon for any roasted or grilled chicken recipe. Instead of just using oil, I use mayo for added flavor and fat.
How to make
Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl.
Place the chicken thighs in a zip lock bag or large bowl and add the marinade. Massage the chicken pieces to get the marinade into every nook and corner. You can air fry the the chicken immediately or leave it for a few hours for flavors to develop more.
Place the chicken on a single layer on the air fryer basket. Do not over crowd the basket. I use 5.8qrt. air fryer. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may have to cook the chicken in batches.
Air fry at 400 degree Fahrenheit for 20 minutes and flip the chicken and fry for another 5 minutes. Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is more than 165 degree Fahrenheit. I like to roast it until 180 degrees so that I won't have any blood spots near the bone. Since there's plenty of fat in the thighs it won't dry out.
Follow these tips to make perfect crispy flavorful chicken thighs in the air fryer every time.
- It's important to pat the chicken dry to remove excess moisture. This helps crisp up the skin.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket. Place the chicken in a single layer.
- Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is above 165 degree Fahrenheit. Use a meat thermometer to check this. You can roast up to 180 degree F.
- You can turn the chicken over after 20 minutes to crisp up the other side.
- This recipe is easy to make ahead. You can keep the marinated chicken for 24 hours, covered in the fridge. Then proceed with the recipe.
- If you are cooking skin less, boneless chicken thighs, air fry them for 7 to 12 minutes.
Frozen Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
You can cook chicken thighs from frozen in the air fryer. Rub the marinade all over and proceed with the recipe. You might need to cook for an extra 5 to 8 minutes.
The chicken thighs can be seasoned and frozen too. They would stay in the freezer for 3 months. When you want to cook, proceed with the recipe and increase the cooking time.
More Air Fryer recipes
Chicken recipes you might like
- Easy Everyday Keto Butter Chicken
- Keto Chicken Crust Pizza
- Easy Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Curry
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- 1.5 lb chicken thighs about 6 pieces, skin on, bone in
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Pat dry the chicken and keep it aside. In a small bowl, whisk the rest of the ingredients until combined.
- Rub the chicken with the marinade until well coated. You can air fry immediately or leave for a few hours for the flavors to develop more.
- Place the chicken thighs on the air fry basket in a single layer.
- Air fry them at 400° F for 20 minutes, until golden. Turn the chicken over and air fry for 5 more minutes if needed.
- Serve warm with your favorite sides.
- Pat dry the chicken to remove extra moisture and to make it crispy.
- You can marinate the chicken and leave it in the fridge, covered, for 24 hours.
- If you are using boneless, skin less chicken thighs cook them for 7 to 12 minutes.
- Leftover chicken thighs can be stored in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. Reheat on a low heat in the air fryer until heated through.