These crunchy air fryer pita chips are the perfect healthy snack! With just 4 ingredients, it's ready in just 8 minutes and great for dipping in hummus or your favorite dip.
Let me tell you, these homemade Air fryer pita chips are so much better than store-bought. You need only 4 ingredients and they get done in just 8 minutes. They come out nice and crisp. Have your hummus ready and see how addictive these pita chips are. The flavor is insane combined with hummus. I could finish an entire tub of hummus with them.
My kids love these pita chips as an afterschool snack or anytime they want to munch something. I make sure I have a bag of pita bread ready because making these pita chips from scratch is so easy even the kids can do it by themselves.
If you're looking for more Air fryer side dishes or Air fryer vegetable dishes, check our Air Fryer Recipe collection.
- Why We Love Air Fryer Pita Chips:
- Ingredients and Notes
- How To Make Pita Chips In The Air Fryer
- What To Serve Air Fried Pita Chips With
- How To Store Air Fryer Pita Chips
- Common Questions
- How do you heat pita bread in an Air fryer?
- How do you heat up pita bread without drying it out?
- How to heat frozen pita bread in the Air fryer?
- More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love:
Why We Love Air Fryer Pita Chips:
- Delicious and so addictive
- Ready in 8 minutes
- Needs just a few ingredients, mostly pantry staples
- Healthy snack
- Great to dip in hummus
Ingredients and Notes
- Pita Bread -
There are several varieties of pita bread you can choose from for this recipe. I love and use thin pita bread like Arabic-style/Lebanese-style. They cook faster and are so crunchy. You can use pita pockets or thick pita bread like the Greek-style one. Note that these may have crispy edges and soft centers.
Both white pita or whole wheat pita bread can be used depending on your preference.
- Toppings (optional) - Za'atar, dried parsley, Italian seasoning
Again, toppings depend on your preference. These 3 toppings are my favorites. Use one or all three. You can keep it simple and just use kosher salt and ground black pepper too.
- Oil - extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, or any neutral oil
How To Make Pita Chips In The Air Fryer
Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
Place the pita bread on a cutting board and cut into 8 triangles or more. Using a pastry brush or cooking spray, oil both sides of the pita. Mix salt and black pepper together in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of the pita.
Alternatively, you can add the pita wedges, oil, salt and pepper to a bowl or a large bag and toss to coat. Make sure all the pitas are evenly coated.
Sprinkle either Za'atar, dried parsley or Italian seasoning on the pita triangles.
Place pita on the Air fryer basket. This is one recipe I wouldn't recommend preheating the Air fryer.
I didn't have the problem of my pita chips flying around in the Air fryer so I didn't need to weigh them down. But if you're concerned you could place a trivet on top of the pita triangles.
Air fry pita chips at 320F for 7 to 8 minutes shaking the air fryer basket halfway through until golden brown and crunchy.
Remove the pita chips from the Air fryer and serve with your favorite dip.
What To Serve Air Fried Pita Chips With
Homemade pita chips are such a versatile snack and you can serve it in many ways. Here are some ideas.
- Hummus - I love a good homemade hummus. I realized I don't have a recipe for huumus and it's coming soon. As for store-bought hummus I like Sabra.
- Guacomale - yes, I love to use air fried pita chips to scoop a creamy, zesty homemade guacamole. So delicious!
- Salsa or your favorite dip
- Crumbled in salads or grain bowls
- Soup - serve with creamy soup.
- Fattoush salad - Deep fried pita chips are used in Middle eastern crunchy fattoush salad. This air fried pita chips are a healthy addition to the salad.
Here are some seasoning to try with your homemade pita chips to give it variety.
- Spices - you can add some garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and pinch of cayenne pepper to make it spicy.
- Herbs - Try it with dried mint, or oregano.
- Sweet - mix 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons brown sugar together and sprinkle on the pita for crunchy cinnamon sugar pita chips.
How To Store Air Fryer Pita Chips
Pita chips will become hard when you leave them out for a while. Once cooled, store them in a ziplock bag or an airtight container.
Leftover pita can be kept at room temperature up to 2 days.
To reheat, see the questions below.
I wouldn't recommend freezing pita chips as it's so easy and quick to make some from scratch.
How do you heat pita bread in an Air fryer?
Not just to make pita chips you can use the Air fryer to heat pitas for your meals. I heat my pita bread at 320F for 3 to 4 minutes in the Air fryer. The heating time may vary based on the size of the Air fryer and model. You'd need a few tries to determine the correct temperature ideal for your air fryer.
How do you heat up pita bread without drying it out?
Heating up pita bread is my jam. LOL. When I was living in the Middle East we consumed a lot of pita bread, naturally. I always used to have a few bags stocked up.
To heat up the pita bread without drying it out, sprinkle some water on the pita bread and air fry it at 320F for a 3 to 4 minutes until warm. The steam from the water helps keep the pita moist.
How to heat frozen pita bread in the Air fryer?
If you're like me and have bags of frozen pita in the freezer, you'd want to know how to reheat them in the Air fryer.
The good news is it's so easy and you don't need to thaw the pita bread. Rinse the frozen pita quickly under the tap and shake off excess water. Reheat in the Air fryer until warm.
If you want to make pita chips with frozen pita bread, after rinsing, pat dry with a paper towel and proceed with the recipe.
More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love:
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Roasted Nut Mix
Check out my Air Fryer Recipe Collection for more Air fryer recipes.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you can give me a rating and comment! Share it with your family and friends! ❤️
Air Fryer Pita Chips
- 2 pita breads
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Zaatar
- 2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Place the pita bread on a cutting board and cut it into 8 pieces or more. Using a pastry brush or cooking spray, oil both sides of the pita. Mix salt and black pepper together in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of the pita.
- Alternatively, you can add the pita strips, oil, salt and pepper to a bowl or a large bag and toss to coat. Make sure all the pita strips are evenly coated.
- Sprinkle either Za'atar, dried parsley or Italian seasoning on the pita strips.
- Place the pita in the Air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 320F for 7 to 8 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Once cooled, store the pita chips in an airtight container or ziplock bag to prevent them from getting hard.
- You can store them at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.