Make these Air fryer chicken fajitas for a quick and easy weeknight dinner in just 15 minutes. This fajita recipe is so flavorful with homemade fajita seasoning, succulent chicken, and crunchy peppers and onions. Let me show you how to make this Mexican delight turned into a modern-day fast-food favorite.
Who would've thought you can get a fajita dinner on the table in just 10 minutes? The chicken is juicy and cooked to perfection while the peppers and onions are tender and slightly charred. Plus, the clean-up is super easy too. Try this Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas to feed a crowd.
I use a simple homemade fajita seasoning to make this chicken fajita recipe super flavorful. You can also use a store-bought mix in a pinch. Simply chop up the chicken and vegetables, mix it with oil and seasoning, and air fry for 10 minutes, flipping halfway. Serve it with tortillas and your favorite toppings and Boom, you have a delicious dinner on the table your family will love!
For more delicious chicken and dinner recipes, check our Air Fryer Recipe Collection.
- Why We Love Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas:
- Ingredients and Notes
- How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Expert Tips
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- How To Serve Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- How To Store Leftovers
- How To Prep Ahead
- Can you cook raw chicken and vegetables together in the Air Fryer?
- More Air Fryer Dinner Recipes You'll Love:
Why We Love Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas:
- Delicious and flavorful chicken fajitas
- Easy and quick dinner. Needs 10 minutes of cooking time and 5 to 10 minutes of prep time.
- Homemade seasoning to suit your spice needs.
Ingredients and Notes
- Chicken - boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs. Make sure to slice thinly and in the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Peppers - red, yellow or green bell pepper.
- Onion - I like to use red onion but yellow onion or white will work too.
- Fajita seasoning mix- use my easy homemade fajita seasoning or your favorite store-bought variety. Taco seasoning can also be used.
- Oil - light olive oil, avocado oil, corn oil, or any vegetable oil will work fine.
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
*Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
STEP ONE: Preheat Air Fryer at 390F for 5 minutes while you prep the chicken and vegetables.
STEP TWO: Pat the chicken breast dry and slice thinly. Slice the whole bell peppers and onions, all similar in size.
STEP THREE: Mix the sliced chicken with oil in a large mixing bowl.
STEP FOUR: Add the fajita seasoning mix to coat the chicken. We need more seasoning on the chicken so we coat the chicken first before adding the veggies.
STEP FIVE: Add the vegetables to the bowl with a pinch of salt and black pepper and give a good mix.
STEP SIX: Place the chicken fajita in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
STEP SEVEN: Air fry chicken fajitas at 390℉ for 10 to 12 minutes, tossing halfway. Check whether the chicken is cooked by cutting a piece. They should be cooked and not be pink in the middle. You can also use an instant-read thermometer to check the doneness. Chicken is safe to eat when it reaches 165℉. Cook for a few extra minutes if it's not done.
*Air fryers come in different sizes and models, and you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly. You might need to increase the cooking time depending on the thickness of your chicken strips.
Remove from the Air fryer and serve with tortillas and toppings.
- Spray or line the basket.
- Spray the basket with an olive oil cooking spray. Line the basket with parchment or foil for easy clean-up, if you prefer. If you're lining the basket make sure you leave enough space around the edges for airflow.
- Not all recipes require preheating but getting the air fryer preheated makes the fajitas cook faster.
- Don't overcrowd the basket.
- Place the chicken and veggies in a single layer as much as you can and avoid stacking. This helps them cook evenly and prevents steaming the chicken and gives a nice "char". Cook in two batches if you're cooking more than one pound of chicken or if you have a smaller air fryer.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
Homemade spice mix makes a world of difference in the flavor. Check out my recipe. The best thing about this is how you can customize it to your liking. Increase the cayenne pepper for more heat. Leave out the sugar if you want to.
It's also healthier and cheaper than buying from the store. I always have a bottle of fajita seasoning made ready to go for these quick dinners.
Here are the spices used for this mix:
- Chili powder (Mexican)
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Brown sugar
- Black pepper
How To Serve Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
The most authentic way to serve these fajitas is on corn tortillas or flour tortillas with toppings. While the fajitas are getting cooked, you can warm the tortillas and keep them covered until ready to use.
Here are some of the toppings you can add;
- Pico de Gallo
- Avacado slices
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Lime wedges
Use gluten-free tortillas instead of the wheat ones if you're on a gluten-free diet or serve with rice.
For low carb/keto chicken fajitas, skip the tortillas and serve with toppings in a bowl.
How To Store Leftovers
Store- once cooled, store leftover air fryer chicken fajitas in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for 3 to 5 days.
Reheat - no need for microwaving, reheat the fajitas in the air fryer at 390F for a few minutes until warm through.
How To Prep Ahead
Meal prep these chicken fajitas ahead of time for an easy throw and cook weeknight meals. Mix chicken slices, oil, and seasoning in a ziplock bag and store in the fridge until ready to use. It will last for 2 to 3 days. Cut the vegetables and store them separately.
If you'd like to freeze the seasoned chicken, they will last for 3 months in the freezer. Thaw it overnight in the fridge and mix with vegetables before air frying.
Can you cook raw chicken and vegetables together in the Air Fryer?
Yes, you can cook meat and vegetables together in the Air fryer. They get cooked on high heat (390℉) and also until the chicken reaches a temperature of 165℉ which is safe to eat.
More Air Fryer Dinner Recipes You'll Love:
- Air Fryer Garlic Steak Bites
- Air Fryer Roast Beef
- Air Fryer Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Shrimp
Check out my Air Fryer Recipe Collection for more Air fryer recipes.
15 Minute Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound chicken breasts 2 medoium sized
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- ½ red onion large
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2½ tablespoon fajita seasoning
- Preheat the Air Fryer at 390F for 5 minutes while you prep the chicken and vegetables.
- Pat the chicken breast dry and slice. Slice the whole bell peppers and onions thinly, all similar in size.
- Mix the chicken with oil in a large bowl. Add the fajita seasoning and mix to coat the chicken.
- Add the vegetables to the bowl with a pinch of salt and black pepper and give a good mix.
- Place the chicken fajita in the air fryer in a single layer. Air fry chicken fajitas at 390℉ for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Remove from the Air fryer and serve with tortilla and toppings.
- Pico de Gallo, Salsa, Guacamole, Shredded cheese, Sour cream, Avocado slices, Lime wedges etc.