Healthy and easy sheet pan chicken fajita dinner that comes together in 30 minutes with bold and spicy Mexican flavors.
Have you got only 30 minutes and hungry mouths to feed? Do you want to whip up some crazy-good dinner that your entire family will love in such a short time? Sister, I got your back. This easy and healthy chicken fajita dinner is your answer to all your burning whats-for-dinner questions. This is not some limpy oven-baked chicken and vegetables with a sprinkling of spices. This is BOLD. This is SPICE LOADED. This is MUMMY, CAN I HAVE SECONDS? situation. This is how MEXICAN is supposed to be. This is how we rock our meals at Love and other Spices.
How to make sheet pan chicken fajitas
When you have ingredients on hand from your weekly grocery shopping this sheet pan chicken dinner is a breeze to make. It comes together in just 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven while you prep the vegetables and chicken. Normally fajitas are cooked in the stove top but with a newborn I don't want to baby-sit the stove. Besides you cook the chicken and vegetables together in a sheet pan and it couldn't get any easier.
I use chicken breasts so it will cook faster but bone-less, skin-less chicken thighs work wonderfully too. Just make sure you cook them until the internal temperature reads 165 in the center. Slice the chicken breasts thinly against the grain. The colored bell peppers and onions are thinly sliced so they cook evenly.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
I use my homemade TACO SEASONING which is super-easy and hardly takes any time. You mix all the spices (cumin, chili, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, black pepper) and voila, you have a seasoning mix you can pretty much use for anything-fajitas, tacos, quesadillas.
In a large bowl, coat the chicken with the seasoning and salt. Add the vegetables, lime juice, olive oil and give it all a toss. You can do this step on the sheet pan itself. I find using a large bowl and first coating the chicken and then the vegetables helps the seasoning spread evenly.
You don't need to line the baking sheet with a parchment or foil paper. The chicken and veggies slide off easily. Bake it in 400F for 20 minutes. If there's any water pooled in the sheet pan, as chicken releases water when cooked, take the sheet pan out of the oven and discard the water and return it to the oven. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes to get a slightly charred top on the chicken and veggies.
What to serve chicken fajitas with
Chicken fajitas are great by themselves. To make a more substantial meal for your family serve it with the following.
- Flour tortillas - Warm the tortillas on the stove top while the chicken is baking.
- Want a low carb-option instead of tortillas- Serve the fajita on a lettuce wrap or on a salad. It's low carb, paleo and keto friendly.
- Can be served with sliced avocado, guacomole, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro and more lime.
How to reheat the chicken fajitas
I use 2lbs chicken breast so there'll be plenty of leftovers for another meal for a family of four. I recommend warming them on a skillet on a stovetop or better yet, reheat it in the oven.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Large Sheet Pan
- 2 lbs chicken breast sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Combine the ingredients for seasoning in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken and the seasoning. Toss to combine. Add the vegetables and mix. Mix in salt and olive oil and spread evenly on a large sheet pan. You can do this step on the sheet pan itself.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. If there's any water in the pan, discard it in the sink and return the sheet pan to the oven. Broil for 3 to 4 minutes to char the top of the chicken and veggies.
- Serve with warmed tortillas or your choice of wrap with toppings: sliced avocadoes, shredded cheese, guacomole, sour cream, chopped cilantro etc.