Make crispy air fryer chicken wings that are crunchy and delicious in just 20 minutes! With a simple seasoning mix and dipped or tossed in your favorite sauce, you won't miss the deep-fried ones.
Chicken wings and air fryers are a perfect match. The circulating hot air crisps up these wings while keeping them juicy on the inside. This results in the most delicious and flavorful crispy wings without all the extra oil. If you love crispy fried wings, you have to check our Air Fryer Buffalo Wings. You'll see that it's possible to get a delicious fried coating in the Air fryer. No need to deep fry.
This air fryer chicken wings recipe is super simple, even air fryer beginners can master in no time. With only a few pantry staples you can whip up these tasty air fryer wings right in your home in just 20 minutes. It's faster than cooking in the oven and juicier.
Whether it's game time or meal time or anytime, these will be your new go-to. Don't forget to serve air-fried chicken wings with fresh celery or carrots and a side of Ranch.
For more delicious chicken recipes, check our Air Fryer Recipe Collection.
- Why We Love Air Fryer Chicken Wings:
- Ingredients and Notes
- How To Make Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
- Tips for Extra Crispy Chicken Wings
- How To Serve Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- How To Store/Reheat
- Can you put raw chicken in the air fryer?
- Are air fryer chicken wings healthy?
- How to cook frozen wings in an air fryer?
- More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love:
Why We Love Air Fryer Chicken Wings:
- Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The perfect combo!
- Needs only a few ingredients.
- Ready in 20 minutes.
- No need for oil. Healthy without all the deep frying.
Ingredients and Notes
Chicken wings - I used 8 whole wings, weighing a bit more than 1 pound. You need to separate the whole chicken wing and use only flats(wingettes) and drums (drummettes). You can save the wing tips for making chicken stock later.
- Baking powder - helps absorb moisture and makes the wings extra crispy.
- Garlic powder - for extra flavor
- Black pepper
- Optional - you can use extra spices like paprika or cayenne pepper for heat.
How To Make Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
STEP ONE: Separate the chicken wings and pat dry.
STEP TWO: Mix the garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and baking powder in a small bowl.
STEP THREE: Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and sprinkle with the seasoning. Toss to coat.
STEP FOUR: Preheat the Air fryer at 400F for 5 minutes. Spray the basket with cooking spray.
STEP FIVE: Place the wings in the air fryer basket in a single layer. You can use parchment or foil under the wings for easy clean-up. Make sure to leave space on the sides for airflow.
STEP SIX: Cook chicken wings for 10 minutes. Flip and air fry for another 8-10 minutes until golden and crispy. The internal temperature should be 165F when checked using a meat thermometer.
STEP FIVE: Remove the wings from the air fryer and serve with your favorite dip or toss them in your favorite sauce.
*Air fryers come in different sizes and models, and you may have to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Tips for Extra Crispy Chicken Wings
- Pat wings dry before seasoning. Using paper towels pat wings dry to absorb extra moisture and prevent steaming. This makes the chicken wings nicely crisp up too.
- Spray or line the basket. Spray the basket with an olive oil cooking spray to avoid sticking and burning. Line the basket with parchment or foil for easy clean-up, if you prefer. If you're lining the basket make sure you leave enough space around the edges for airflow.
- Single layer. Place the wings in a single layer without stacking them up. This helps them cook evenly. Cook in several batches if you're cooking more than 1 pound or if you have a small air fryer.
How To Serve Air Fryer Chicken Wings
You can serve them plain or tossed in a wing sauce.
Toss the wings in ½ cup or more Buffalo hot sauce as soon as you remove them from the Air fryer.
Serve the wings with celery sticks and ranch to dip. If you're serving the wings plain BBQ sauce will also be great for dipping.
How To Store/Reheat
Store leftover wings in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 to 6 days.
Reheat them in the air fryer at 380F for a few minutes until warm.
Freeze - once cooled, freeze the wings in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Can you put raw chicken in the air fryer?
Yes, air fryer is perfect to cook raw chicken. The chicken gets cooked fast compared to other cooking methods.
Are air fryer chicken wings healthy?
These air fryer chicken wings can be enjoyed in a wholesome diet. There's no oil used except to spray the basket. These are definitely healthier than store-bought or deep-fried wings.
How to cook frozen wings in an air fryer?
Cook frozen wings, at 400F for 5 minutes to thaw. Then mix with the seasonings and cook for 10 minutes. Flip and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes until golden.
More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love:
- Air Fryer Garlic Steak Bites
- Air Fryer Roast Beef
- Air Fryer Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Shrimp
Check out my Air Fryer Recipe Collection for more Air fryer recipes.
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 8 whole chicken wings around 1 pound
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup buffalo sauce or
- ranch dip
- Separate the chicken wings and pat dry.
- Mix the garlic powder, salt, black pepper and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and sprinkle with the seasoning. Toss to coat.
- Preheat the Air fryer at 400F for 5 minutes. Spray the basket with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken wings in the air fryer basket in a single layer. You can use parchment or foil under the wings for easy clean-up. Make sure you leave space on the sides for airflow.
- Air fry wings for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken pieces and cook for another 8-10 minutes until golden and crispy. The internal temperature should be 165F when checked using a meat thermometer.
- Remove the wings from the air fryer and serve it plain with ranch or toss them in buffalo sauce.