Crispy and delicious Air Fryer Chicken Wings Dry Rub are marinated in a dry rub of spices and then cooked in the air fryer for about 20 minutes. They're so good, you’ll definitely want to make them again and again!
Chicken wings are amazing in the air fryer. We have Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings and Air fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings to prove it. Even if you cook nothing else, chicken wings alone would justify the price you pay for it. They get perfectly crispy and juicy and so delicious. This air fryer chicken wings dry rub will soon become your favorite wing recipe, I assure you. It's sweet, spicy, smokey and irresistible.
A simple spice mix of garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper/red chili powder, black pepper along with brown sugar is used to coat the wings. The brown sugar adds a bit of sweetness and charring. Make smokey chicken wings without the grill or bbq. The skin comes out perfectly crispy with juicy meat inside! They are the best I’ve ever tasted.
The best thing is they get done in 20 minutes. Next time, the cravings for crispy, delicious chicken wings hit you're just minutes away from making them at home. Plus they're healthy because you're not frying them in a vat of oil and you're in control of what goes into them.
For more delicious chicken recipes, check our Air Fryer Recipe Collection.
- Why We Love Air Fryer Chicken Wings Dry Rub:
- Ingredients and Notes
- How To Make Dry Rub Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Tips for Crispy Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- How To Serve Air Fryer Chicken Wings Dry Rub
- How To Store/Reheat
- Do you put dry rub on wings before or after frying?
- Can you make these chicken wings low carb?
- Can you cook frozen chicken wings with dry rub?
- More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love:
Why We Love Air Fryer Chicken Wings Dry Rub:
- So flavorful with a perfect combination of spices. It's spicy, sweet and smoky.
- Needs only a few ingredients.
- No need for oil and deep frying to make super delicious chicken wings just like you get in your favorite BBQ place.
- Ready in 20 minutes. Much faster and crispier than baking in the oven.
Ingredients and Notes
Chicken wings - I used 8 whole wings, weighing a bit more than 1 pound. Separate the whole chicken wings and use only flats(wingettes) and drums (drummettes). Use a knife or kitchen shears and seperate them at the joints. You can save the wing tips for making chicken stock later.
- Brown Sugar
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper or red chili powder
- Black pepper
How To Make Dry Rub Air Fryer Chicken Wings
*Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
STEP ONE: Separate the chicken wings and pat dry.
STEP TWO: Mix the garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, brown sugar, black pepper, and salt in a small bowl.
STEP THREE: Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and sprinkle with the seasoning. Toss to coat.
STEP FOUR: Preheat the Air fryer at 390F for 5 minutes. Spray the basket with cooking spray.
STEP FIVE: Place the dry rubbed chicken wings in the air fryer basket in a single layer. You can use parchment or foil under the wings for easy clean-up. Make sure to leave space on the sides for airflow.
STEP SIX: Air fry chicken wings for 10 minutes. Flip and air fry for another 5-8 minutes until golden and crispy. The internal temperature should be 165F when checked using a meat thermometer.
STEP FIVE: Remove the wings from the air fryer and serve with your favorite dip.
*Air fryers come in different sizes and models, and you may have to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Tips for Crispy Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- Pat wings dry before seasoning. Using a paper towel pat wings dry to absorb extra moisture and prevent steaming. This makes the chicken wings nicely crisp up too.
- Spray or line the basket. Spray the basket with an olive oil cooking spray to avoid sticking and burning. Line the basket with parchment or foil for easy clean-up, if you prefer. If you're lining the basket make sure you leave enough space around the edges for airflow.
- Single layer. Place the wings in a single layer without stacking them up. This helps them cook evenly. Cook in several batches if you're cooking more than 1 pound or if you have a small air fryer.
How To Serve Air Fryer Chicken Wings Dry Rub
Air-fried chicken wings can be served as a main meal or as an appetizer.
These wings are so good on their own but you can definitely serve them with celery sticks, cut-up carrots, and ranch dressing.
If you're serving them as the main meal, try these side dishes.
How To Store/Reheat
Store leftover wings in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 to 6 days.
Reheat them in the air fryer at 380F for a few minutes until warm.
Freeze - once cooled, freeze the wings in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Do you put dry rub on wings before or after frying?
We coat the chicken wings with the dry rub before "frying" in the Air fryer. This will season the chicken wings and gives them flavor.
Can you make these chicken wings low carb?
Yes, these wings can be easily made into low-carb if you swap the brown sugar with a low-carb brown sugar substitute like Lakanto. You can omit the sugar altogether and it'll still be delicious.
Can you cook frozen chicken wings with dry rub?
No, you need to thaw the wings first for this dry rub chicken wings. You can place the frozen wings overnight in the fridge to thaw or in a bowl of warm water if you're crunched for time. Make sure you dry the chicken wings thoroughly before seasoning them with the dry rub.
More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love:
- Air Fryer Garlic Steak Bites
- Air Fryer Roast Beef
- Air Fryer Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Shrimp
Check out my Air Fryer Recipe Collection for more Air fryer recipes.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Dry Rub
- 8 whole chicken wings around 1 pound
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper/red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Separate the chicken wings and pat dry.
- Mix the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper,salt, black pepper and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and sprinkle with the seasoning. Toss to coat.
- Preheat the Air fryer at 390F for 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken wings in the air fryer basket in a single layer. You can use parchment or foil under the wings for easy clean-up. Make sure you leave space on the sides for airflow.
- Air fry wings for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken pieces and cook for another 5-8 minutes until golden and crispy. The internal temperature should be 165F when checked using a meat thermometer.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve.