These golden brown, tender and crispy Air fryer breaded mushrooms are the best breaded mushrooms EVER! They're so easy to make, healthy and less messy than traditional fried mushrooms. You'll love them!
Air Fryer Breaded Mushrooms
These easy Air fryer breaded mushrooms are insanely delicious! If you're a mushroom lover then this recipe is for you. Now you can make crispy breaded mushrooms at home without the extra oil like you get in your favorite restaurant.
I love mushrooms in any form, and when I want to make a quick side dish my go-to recipe is this Air fryer Mushrooms without breading.
Breaded mushrooms in the air fryer are tender on the inside, crispy on the outside and are perfectly seasoned. Serve them with a ranch dip or your favorite dipping sauces. They make a perfect appetizer or snack. Make breaded mushrooms for game day or your next get together and impress your guests!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Healthy: What I love about the Air fryer appetizers and snacks is that they can be enjoyed without guilt. With no added oil, this recipe is low in calories.
- Delicious: These breaded mushrooms are perfectly seasoned and restaurant quality. You won't miss your deep fried pub snack, I promise!
- Versatile: From the types of mushrooms to use to being able to cater to different diets, this recipe is very versatile.
Mushrooms: Any type of mushrooms can be used in this recipe but smaller the better. I use cremini mushrooms but feel free to use white button mushrooms or Baby Bellas.
Egg: You need one or two eggs depending on the amount of mushrooms used. Start with one egg and add another if needed. Egg will make the breadcrumbs stick to the mushrooms. You can also use a batter instead of egg to make battered mushrooms.
Flour: All purpose flour helps absorb excess moisture from mushrooms to prevent them becoming soggy.
Breadcrumbs: Plain bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs. You can choose either based on your personal preference. I used plain.
Parmesan Cheese: Adds flavor to the breadcrumbs.
Seasoning: I used a mix of Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper to season the mushrooms.
How To Clean Mushrooms
Before we go to the recipe, I thought a quick note on how to clean mushrooms would be helpful to you. Unless there's a lot of dirt avoid washing mushrooms as they will release water when cooked.
- Start by brushing off any visible dirt or debris from the mushrooms using a soft-bristled brush , damp paper towel or cloth.
- If the mushrooms are particularly dirty, you can rinse them quickly under cold running water. Be careful not to soak them as mushrooms are porous and can absorb water, which can affect their texture and taste.
- Once you've rinsed the mushrooms, gently pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel. Avoid rubbing them too hard as this can damage their delicate texture.
How to Make Breaded Mushrooms In Air Fryer
*Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
Prep mushrooms: Once you've cleaned the mushrooms, cut them in half or quarters. If the stem is too long you can cut the end with a sharp knife. For smaller mushrooms, you can leave them whole.
Assemble: In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and black pepper. Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Make a breading station with mushrooms, flour, egg and the breadcrumbs mixture.
Bread mushrooms: Dip each mushroom in flour, then egg and in the bread crumb mixture. Place the breaded mushrooms in a baking sheet.
Air fry: Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F. Place the breaded mushrooms in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Spray mushrooms with olive oil cooking spray for best results. Working in batches, Air fry breaded mushrooms for 5 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and air fry for another 3 minutes until golden brown.
*Air fryers come in different sizes and models, and you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Tip: Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper for easy clean up.
Remove the crispy breaded mushrooms from Air fryer and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Tip: You can keep the mushrooms warm in a heated oven. Or after air frying the last batch, place all the mushrooms back in the air fryer and warm it up for a minute or two.
Substitutions and Variations
This recipe is versatile and caters to your tastes and dietary needs.
You can experiment with different seasonings if you prefer. Add onion powder, cayenne pepper for more heat and flavor. Instead of Italian seasoning you can use ranch seasoning or some taco or fajita seasoning.
To make this recipe gluten free, use rice flour and gluten free breadcrumbs.
For low carb and keto diets, skip the flour and use almond flour instead of breadcrumbs.
How To Serve
These air fried mushrooms are good on their own but I like to serve them with the following for more deliciousness:
You can also add cut cucumbers, carrots, peppers alongside air fry breaded mushrooms as finger food on a platter.
They also make a perfect side dish with steak, chicken or any main dish.
How To Store Breaded Mushrooms
Once cooled, you can store leftover breaded mushrooms in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
They can be made a day ahead for a party or a gathering. After breading the mushrooms, cover them with a plastic wrap or place them in air tight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
If you plan to freeze them, freeze them before air frying them. Place them in a freezer safe bag and keep it in the freezer for 3 months. When ready to use, you can cook the breaded mushrooms from frozen in the air fryer.
How To Reheat Breaded Mushrooms In Air Fryer
Air fryer is great for reheating food. Unlike the microwave which tends make food soggy, foods reheated in the air fryer come out crispy and fresh.
To reheat these breaded mushrooms in the air fryer, air fry them at 380˚F for 2 to 3 minutes until warm and crispy. Make sure you don't reheat them in high temperature or for too long.
Crispy Air Fryer Breaded Mushrooms
- 8 oz mushrooms button or cremini
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs plain or panko
- 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cleaned the mushrooms with a damp cloth or paper towel. Cut them in half or quarters. If the stem is too long cut the end with a sharp knife. Leave the mushrooms whole if they're smaller.
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and black pepper.
- Make a breading station with mushrooms, flour and a beaten egg in their own bowls.
- Dip each mushroom in flour, then egg and in the breadcrumbs mixture. Place the breaded mushrooms in a baking sheet.
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F. Place the breaded mushrooms in the air fryer basket. Spray the mushrooms with olive oil cooking spray. Working in batches, Air fry for 5 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and air fry for another 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Store leftover breaded mushrooms in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheat the breaded mushrooms in the Air fryer at 390˚F for 2 to 3 minutes until warm and crispy.