The perfect Fall dessert, this Air Fryer Apple Crisp For Two combines tender apples laced with spices, with a crunchy topping. This classic dessert made in the Air fryer is easy, quick and insanely delicious!
Air Fryer Apple Crisp
Apple crisp has apples cooked in brown sugar and spices until tender and topped with a crunchy topping made with oats, all purpose flour, sugar and butter. It's almost the same as an apple crumble with a similar topping called the streusel topping but with oats in it for the crunch.
This Air fryer apple crisp for two is perfect when I'm craving something warm and sweet that can be made easily. And since it's only two servings, I wont feel bad if I eat the entire bowl. The good thing is you can make this in a large baking dish or as individual dessert in ramekins.
For more air fryer recipes, check my Air Fryer Recipe Collection.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Tastes like traditional apple pie without all the extra work. I love a good apple pie but when you need an equally delicious dessert in a matter of minutes, you can't beat this apple crisp recipe.
- Quick and easy apple dessert that comes together in 30 minutes. When you crave for something warm and sweet, remember this apple crisp just minutes away.
- Uses simple ingredients. This easy dessert can be made with everyday pantry staples. You don't need anything fancy. It's also great way to use extra apples this season.
What You Need For Air Fryer Apple Crisp
- Fresh Apples - Any sweet apples like Gala, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Pink Lady or tart apples like Granny Smith will work. The best apples to use are a mix of both sweet and tart apples if you have them. If you're using Granny Smith apples only, add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to cook the apples instead of one.
- Oats - Use old fashioned oats for a crunchy crisp topping. They will hold up their shape unlike quick oats which can turn into a mush.
- All Purpose Flour - This is the essential ingredient for any crumble, crisp or streusel topping.
- Brown Sugar - I prefer to use brown sugar for it's depth of flavor but feel free to use white sugar. You can use maple syrup to cook the apples. For crumble topping, I don't recommend using maple syrup.
- Lemon juice - Prevents the apple from browning.
- Butter - Use cold butter and not melted butter.
- Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger - I like a combination of spices than just cinnamon. It balances the sweetness. Apple pie spice would be a good substitute if you don't want to use individual spices.
How to Make Air Fryer Apple Crisp
*Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
- Peel the apples and core them. Chop the apples into ¾ or ½-inch cubes.
- In a small baking dish, toss apples with brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to coat.
- Preheat air fryer to 350˚F. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place it in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and air fry apples for another 5 minutes until tender.
- For the topping, mix flour, oats, sugar in a medium bowl. Add cold butter and using a fork press the butter into the mix. Using the fork or your fingers (I find it easy to mix the dough with my fingers) mix everything until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Cover the cooked apples with the crumble topping mixture and air fry uncovered for another 5 to 8 minutes until golden brown.
*Air fryers come in different sizes and models, and you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Using mitts, carefully remove the baking dish from the air fryer basket and let it cool. Serve warm or at room temperature with big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- Peel or not to peel? Peel the apples. You can choose not to peel but I don't want to bite into peels when I'm enjoying my dessert! Also chopped apples are better in the crisp than apple slices.
- Cook the apples covered first for best results. This ensures that apples are tender when you add the topping. Since the topping doesn't need much time to cook, if you cook the apples and topping together, we end up biting into uncooked apples.(Eating raw apples are good but I wouldn't want that in a dessert)
- I like to mix the crumb topping with my hand, but if you prefer to not get your hands dirty, a food processor will do the job.
- The baking dish will be really hot after cooking. Use mitts or a lifter to remove the dish from the air fryer basket. Alternatively, remove the air fryer basket from the appliance and leave it aside until the baking dish is cold to handle.
How To Serve Apple Crisp
The warm Air fryer apple crisp is perfect with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce. This warm and cool combination creates a tantalizingly delicious flavor in your mouth. So I advise you not to skip it!!!
Sprinkle some chopped walnuts or pecans for an extra touch.
If you want to forgo the ice cream and use healthy options might I suggest whipped cream or frozen vanilla yogurt? Or vanilla flavored Greek yogurt that would boost the protein content? Some custard will be lovely too.
If you've got nothing else, this apple crisp is delicious on it's own.
Storing and Reheating
Storage - Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or covered with a plastic wrap in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Reheat - Apple crisp can be reheated in the microwave or in the air fryer until warm through. If you're reheating the apple crisp in the Air fryer, air fry at 350˚F for 5 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Any oven safe baking dish or pyrex dish can be used in your air fryer. I have a Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer and any baking dish up to 7-inch in diameter could fit in.
Air fry for extra few minutes to make it crispy. Make sure the topping ingredients are used as stated. The butter should be cold and rolled oats used instead of quick oats.
Apples are cooked covered for 15 minutes. Then the aluminum foil removed and cooked for another 5 minutes to make any extra liquids evaporate. We want the apples a bit dry but moist. So don't skip cooking the apples uncovered to prevent the apple crisp going soggy.
Thaw overnight in the fridge. Air fry at 350˚F for 10 minutes until its warm and the topping is crispy.
More Recipes You'll Love:
Air Fryer Apple Crisp For Two
- 2 apples peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For The Crumble Topping
- ½ cup oats old fashioned
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon cold butter
- pinch of salt
- Chop the apples into ¾ or ½-inch cubes. In a small baking dish, toss the apples with brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Preheat air fryer to 350˚F. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place it in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 15 minutes.After 15 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and air fry apples for another 5 minutes until tender.
- For the topping, mix flour, oats, sugar in a bowl. Add cold butter and using a fork press the butter into the mix. Using the fork or your fingers mix everything until it resembles coarse crumbs. Cover the cooked apples with the crumble topping and air fry uncovered for another 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown .
- Using mitts, carefully remove the baking dish from the air fryer basket and let it cool. Serve with a big scoop of ice cream.
- Sweet apples like Gala, honey crisp or tart apples like Granny Smith can be used. The best apples to use are mix of sweet and tart apples if you have them. If you're using Granny Smith apples only , add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to cook the apples.
- Use old fashioned oats instead of quick oats for a crunchy topping.
- White sugar can be substituted for brown sugar. You can use maple syrup to cook the apples. For crumble topping, I don't recommend using maple syrup.
- Feel free to use the spices listed in the recipe card or just cinnamon. Apple pie spice would be really good if you don't want to use individual spices.