This creamy, dreamy and healthy Thai Curried Butternut Squash Soup comes together effortlessly in the Instant Pot for a cozy bowl of warmth which can be enjoyed anytime of the day!
Who doesn't love a bowl of soup with a perfect balance of sweet, spicy and sour? I know I do. This bowl of butternut squash soup with Thai curry paste, coconut milk and spices hits all the right spots.
And it's made in my favorite kitchen equipment. The Instant Pot. You can make this soup in the stovetop too. But this new mama ain't got time for that. I love that you can do the bare minimum in the Instant Port and just forget about the dish. If you want to make it in the stove top I have the instructions in the recipe card. I got you covered, my friend!
Adam is three months old and though he's a happy baby most of the time there are instances he'd be so clingy I could barely get any cooking done. At those times having the Instant Pot and making easy meals like filling soups are a godsend.
Here's my little trick to give this soup a protein kick and make it extra creamy and filling (because this nursing mama needs it) : Almond Butter. I know right? You're welcome.
All the reasons you should make this Instant Pot Thai Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- is a breeze to make it in the Instant Pot
- healthy and gluten free
- Who doesn't love Thai curries?
I'm not going to lie to you it takes a bit of muscle to cut the butternut squash.
How to cut butternut squash
- Cut both ends of the squash.
- Stand the squash on a cutting board from the bottom.
- Peel the hard skin using a vegetable peeler. Or if you're like me and don't want to be bothered by another kitchen utensil just use the knife.
- Cut the squash in half vertically. Scoop the seeds out.
- Roughly chop the squash into cubes.
A quick note on the ingredients
- I normally go for small to medium squash which weigh around 2 pounds, roughly about 6 cups.
- Go for a good quality Thai red curry paste. I use Thai Kitchen red curry paste.
- As for the liquids you can use water or broth. I have used vegetable and chicken broth and both are equally delicious. If I don't have broth I use a vegetable or chicken bouillon cube. Use 1 cube for 2 cups of water.
- You can swap creamy peanut butter instead of almond butter
If you make any of my recipes,tag me #loveandotherspices on Instagram and follow me on Pinterest to get more delicious healthy meal ideas.
Instant Pot Thai Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 2 pound butternut squash peeled,seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1.5 tablespoon red curry paste
- ¼ cup smooth almond butter
- 2 cups vegetable broth or use 2 cups water with a vegetable buillion cube
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- ½ lime juice
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper
- roasted sliced almonds or peanuts
- chopped cilantro
- coconut milk
- red chili flakes
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays Hot add oil and the chopped onion and minced ginger. Saute a few minutes until onions becomes soft.
- Add the cubed squash, red curry paste and salt. Mix to combine. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and broth.
- Close the pot with the lid and the vent in sealing position. Press Cancel. Then press the Pressure Cook button and set the time for 10 minutes on High.
- Once the the Instant Pot beeps let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then manually release the pressure.
- Stir in the almond butter. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to a creamy texture. Alternatively you can carefully transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and season with salt, black pepper and lime juice.
- Divide the soup among bowls and garnish with roasted almond slices, chili flakes and chopped cilantro.
For the stovetop
- Heat a pan in medium high and follow step 1 to 3 in the above instructions. Close the pan and cook for about 20 minutes until the squash is tender. Remove the pan from the heat and follow the steps 6 to 8.
This site is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for the site to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Leave a Reply