This Easy Salmon Dip with Canned Salmon makes a great appetizer for a crowd - it compliments crackers, breads, vegetables and chips. Perfect for game day, any party or gathering. Made with a few simple ingredients, the dip is tasty, creamy and filled with protein. Your guests will love it!
canned salmon dip
We all love a good smoked salmon dip but this canned salmon dip recipe is the convenient version of that. See, I don't have smoked salmon lying around in my pantry always and it's also expensive. But I do have a stack of canned salmon from Costco at any given time.
This salmon dip doesn't disappoint, in fact it's luscious, creamy and oh so delicious. It's one of the easy recipes that comes together in a food processor. Convenience! It's also packed with flavor. The combination of salmon, cream cheese, lemon juice, dill, and green onions creates a delicious and creamy dip that is perfect for any party.
Skip the store-bought dips next time you throw a party or gathering, and impress everyone with this easy salmon dip with canned salmon. Serve with my easy homemade crostini, veggie sticks and crackers and take your appetizers to the next level.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Healthy: Salmon is a great source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and essential minerals. Along with the cream cheese, this salmon appetizer provides a hefty dose of protein.
- Quick and easy to make: It's practically made in the food processor and ready in minutes.
- Budget-friendly: The canned salmon also provides a convenient, quick and affordable option for making a tasty dip. Or a great way to use up any leftover salmon that you have.
- Versatile: This dip is customizable to suit any tastes and needs.
Ingredients For Salmon Dip
- Salmon: Use good quality canned salmon like sockeye salmon or pink salmon. You can either by chunk or flaked salmon. If you have any leftover salmon that can be used too.
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Fresh lemon juice: include some lemon zest for a more pronounced lemony flavor.
- Fresh dill
- Green onion: white or red onion can be used.
- Seasonings: salt and black pepper
How to Make Canned Salmon Dip
*Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
Drain the water or oil from the canned salmon. Remove any bones or skin.
Blend the cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream in a food processor until smooth.
Add the salmon, chopped dill, chopped green onion, salt, black pepper and lemon juice and pulse until combined.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Transfer to a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap and keep it chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Serve garnished with chopped dill and alongside veggies, breads, and crackers.
Recipe Tip: No food processor? not to worry! Soften the cream cheese at room temperature for 30 minutes. Use a whisk to beat the cream cheese, mayo and sour cream until smooth in a medium bowl. Chop the dill and green onion finely. Then stir everything together until combined.
How To Serve
This salmon cream cheese dip will quickly become one of your favorite appetizers. Serve it with your favorite crackers and vegetables!
I include some type of bread like crostini(check my delicious homemade crostini recipe here), crackers and vegetables on the serving tray along with the dip. Here are some of my favorites to include with this dip.
- Bread - crostini, pita chips, crackers
- Vegetables - carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber, red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes
- Chips - potato chips, tortilla chips
You can also use this dip as a salmon spread on sandwiches, bagels or baguette slices for a quick snack. Make cute little salmon tea sandwiches by spreading this dip on white bread(crust removed) and garnishing with some chopped dill or chives.
how to store
If you're making this salmon dip ahead of time for a party or a big batch to have on hand or have any leftovers, store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
The leftovers will keep for a week in the fridge and if you're going to serve at a party I recommend making it only one or two days ahead.
Can you make salmon dip without cream cheese?
Absolutely, don't let cream cheese hold you back from making this amazing dip. You can substitute cream cheese with other delicious ingredients. Plain Greek yogurt is ideal. Sour cream can be used too. Just replace the cream cheese with any of the substitutions 1:1.
Smoked salmon dip: to make a smoked salmon dip with this recipe, you can add a teaspoon of liquid smoke along with other ingredients. Or use smoked salmon instead of canned salmon.
Spicy: to make this canned salmon dip spicy add cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, minced jalapeno or tabasco hot sauce.
Garlic: Add one teaspoon garlic powder or one clove of minced garlic if you prefer a garlicky flavor.
More Recipes You'll Love:
- Easy Tuna Dip
- Dill Dip With Greek Yogurt
- Homemade Crostini
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
Salmon Dip With Canned Salmon
- Food Processor
- 2 canned salmon (6oz each) drained
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 green onion chopped
- ½ cup chopped dill
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Drain the water or oil from the canned salmon. Remove any bones or skin.
- Blend the cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the salmon, chopped dill, chopped green onion, salt, black pepper and lemon juice and pulse until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap and keep it chilled until ready to serve.
- Garnish with chopped dill and serve with veggie sticks, breads, and crackers.