Your Taco Tuesday just got better with these Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos that can be made in minutes. With perfectly seasoned air fried shrimp, and a variety of toppings this is one Mexican feast that your whole family will love!
- Air Fried Shrimp Tacos
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- How to Make Air Fryer Shrimp For Tacos
- Recipe Tips
- Build Your Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos With Slaw
- Substitutions and Variations
- Make Ahead And Storage
- How To Reheat Shrimp In Air Fryer
- Can You Cook Frozen Shrimp In the Air Fryer For Tacos?
- What To Serve With Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
Air Fried Shrimp Tacos
These shrimp tacos in the air fryer are one of my favorite dishes to make for my family. Even the picky eaters won't be able to resist the first bite and how delicious it is.
It's a simple and easy-to-make dish that is great for those busy weeknights. If you have had a long day and don't feel like putting too much work in for a meal, this air fryer shrimp taco recipe is quick and perfect for you.
Shrimp is seasoned with a taco spice mix and are air fried without excessive amounts of oil. This means that you get tender, golden brown, and crispy shrimp that is not only delicious but healthier for you. You can also use this air fryer shrimp recipe with simple ingredients.
For more air fryer recipes, check my Air Fryer Recipe Collection.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Quick & ready in minutes, this will become your favorite meal for taco night.
- Delicious and flavorful air-fried shrimp for tacos or any meal.
- Easy dinner for a busy weeknight.
- Getting everyone to the dinner table to assemble the tacos makes for a fun family activity!
Shrimp: Use fresh shrimp from the store. You will need to remove the shell, devein, and clean thoroughly if it's not already done. When cleaning and deveining the shrimp, make sure to use a pairing knife to make a slit in the back all the way down to the tail. Then, proceed with the deveining.
Oil: Olive oil, canola, vegetable, avocado oil, or any cooking oil. And olive oil spray will be great too.
Brown Sugar: This makes the recipe sweet and rich while adding flavor as well. It really ties the salty and smokey flavors together.
Seasoning: I used a mix of Mexican chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Use taco seasoning mix if you have it.
How to Make Air Fryer Shrimp For Tacos
*Scroll below for the printable recipe card and ingredient measurements.
Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Add shrimp, oil, and spices: smoked paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt into a medium bowl and toss to combine and coat.
Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F. Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper.
Place the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Working in batches air fry shrimp for 5 minutes until fully cooked.
Serve on warm tortillas and your favorite toppings.
*Air fryers come in different sizes and models, and you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Buy deveined and pre cleaned shrimp for convenience.
- Preheat the Air fryer. Preheating the air fryer speeds up the cooking process because you need to cook several batches.
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Don't overcrowd the basket. For crispy shrimp, you want them in a single layer.
- Since shrimp cooks so fast and overcooking tends to produce rubbery shrimp, keep an eye on the timer.
Build Your Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos With Slaw
Now that you have the perfectly seasoned and air fried shrimp, it's time to assemble the shrimp tacos.
Warm tortillas in the air fryer at 400˚F for one minute.
Lay the tortilla and place cabbage slaw on the middle and arrange shrimp on top. Then top with sour cream or crema, guacamole, pico de gallo or salsa. You can also use your favorite sauce to drizzle like this spicy mayo sauce or hot sauce.
Place the assembled tacos on a plate and serve with lime wedges.
You can also garnish the tacos with sliced red onions or chopped cilantro.
Substitutions and Variations
You can use additional seasonings or remove any that you don't prefer. If you want more heat, increase the amount of cayenne pepper. For a rich and earthy flavor, add ground cumin.
Season the shrimp with taco or cajun seasoning. Try making breaded shrimp tacos by seasoning, dipping in egg, then coating in panko bread crumbs.
I love using flour tortilla, but you can use white or yellow corn tortillas or taco shells. To make this gluten-free use gluten-free tortillas. For keto, use low-carb tortillas or lettuce wraps.
As for the slaw, use a packaged slaw mix or shredded white cabbage, purple cabbage and carrots.
Make Ahead And Storage
To make these amazing tacos ahead of time, you will want to fully cook the shrimp and prep the rest of the taco ingredients. When it's time to serve you can assemble the shrimp tacos and serve.
These shrimp tacos are great for meal prepping. The taco ingredients can be placed in a meal prep box and assembled when ready to eat.
The leftover shrimp will stay in the fridge for 3 to 4 days in an air-tight container.
I don't recommend storing the assembled shrimp tacos as the toppings will make the tortilla soggy.
How To Reheat Shrimp In Air Fryer
The best way to reheat shrimp is in the air fryer. Cooking shrimp can be very finicky as shrimp cooks fast. And overcooked shrimp is rubbery.
I recommend reheating the shrimp in the air fryer on a low heat until warm through. You don't want to cook shrimp the second time too.
Reheat shrimp in air fryer at 350˚F for a few minutes until warm.
Can You Cook Frozen Shrimp In the Air Fryer For Tacos?
Absolutely. I cook frozen shrimp often for these shrimp tacos. I recommend to thaw them first for best flavor and taste.
You can thaw the frozen shrimp overnight in the fridge. Or submerge the frozen shrimp in warm water for an hour to two. Remember to pat the shrimp dry throughly before proceeding with the recipe.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
Love air frying? You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or join our Free Facebook Air Frying Group.
Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 taco shells or mini tortillas
- shredded cabbage and carrots or store-bought coleslaw mix
- toppings see note
- lime wedges
- Mix the chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix the shrimp with oil and the seasoning mix until coated.
- Preheat air fryer to 380˚F for a few minutes. Place the shrimp in a lined air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Working in batches, air fry shrimp for 5 minutes or until they're no longer pink and cooked through.
- To assemble the shrimp tacos, place shredded cabbage and carrot or slaw mix in each tortilla, top with air fried shrimp and toppings. Serve lime wedges on the side.
- Substitute 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of taco seasoning for the spices listed above in the recipe.
- Toppings: guacamole, pico de gallo, salsa, spicy mayo sauce, hot sauce, red onions, chopped cilantro
- Store: leftover shrimp in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- Reheat: reheat shrimp in the air fryer at 350˚F for a few minutes until warm.
Leave a Reply