We were thrilled when the sun started shining and the temperatures peaked to 25 degree Celsius. Oh! What glorious days they were. I even lamented to my husband that it’s too hot in the house and we should get a fan and wondered out loud about the benefits of an air conditioner like we had back in Dubai (gasp). As you imagined, the good weather didn’t last long and it’s back to the unpredictable weather. The other day we were walking to the town and then the library where we got soaked about 4 times. Bit of rain, then the sun, they played hide and seek and Ammar was sure the rain was targeting us. LOL! Every time we stepped out of a shop to the street, it would start pouring.
Lentil and Vegetable Soup with Parsley Recipe
- 1 cup Red lentils
- 5 cups Chicken stock
- 1 Onion medium
- 2 Tomatoes medium
- 1 tsp Ginger & Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Carrot large
- 2 stalks Celery
- 1/2 cup Parsley chopped
- Olive oil
- Chili flakes
- Wash the red lentils until water runs clear and drain.
- Heat oil in a pot and add the chopped onions to it. When onions start to turn into light brown add the ginger,garlic paste. Cook till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes.Saute the tomatoes for a minute. Then add the turmeric, coriander and cumin powder.
- Add the chooped carrots and celery. Saute for a few minutes mixing till the vegetables are coated with spices.
- Add the lentils and give it a good stir. Add the chicken stock and chopped parsley. Reserve some parsley to serve on top. Add salt to taste.
- Increase the heat to medium high and let the soup come to a boil. Then decrease it a to medium and let it simmer for about thirty minutes till the vegetables and lentils are cooked.
- Once cooked, take off heat and blend it to a smooth soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. You might want to add a bit more stock or water to thin the soup if it's too thick.
- I prefer to thin it down. You might need an additional cup of liquid.Serve it drizzled with a bit of oil, chili flakes and chopped parsley.