A delicious creamy morning cup of coffee with healthy fats and ZERO carbs to keep you feeling full and energized.
If there's a recipe that I make everyday after going low carb and keto is this homemade keto bulletproof coffee. I drink a cup in the morning and I'm set till lunch.
What is a bulletproof coffee?
It's simply your favorite morning beverage blended with healthy fats like butter, coconut oil or MCT oil made famous by Dave Asprey, the founder of Bulletproof Company. It is a creamy, smooth luscious drink without added milk, sugar or carbs.
When you drastically reduce carbohydrates in a ketogenic diet your body uses fatty acids to produce ketones for fuel instead of glucose. And the fatty acids we ingest in the bulletproof coffee gets converted to ketones quickly providing a source of energy to keep your energy levels steady.
Benefits of keto bulletproof coffee
Personally these are the benefits I find having a cup of this every morning.
- Feeling full - I'm a busy mom and the last thing I want to think about is sitting down for a meal in the morning. I can push my breakfast till noon with a cup of this. This curbs my appetite and helps me with Intermittent fasting.
- Feeling Energized- Sometimes I feel like a sloth in the morning after several night wake-ups thanks to a toddler. A cup of this and I'm able to get done more because of the MCT oil and caffeine.
- Tastes so good- Who needs Starbucks when they can make this deliciousness right at home for less money? I still feel like I'm indulging when I drink this without all the sugar and carbs. Zero net carbs.
- Great pick me up- It can be a great pick me up any time of the day. When I don't have time for a meal but have room for coffee (which is always) I make a quick keto coffee with optional add-ins to tide me until my next meal. If you're sensitive to caffeine like me, make sure not to consume coffee after 4 pm or have decaffeinated coffee. I make a decaf keto coffee with heavy cream and sweetener for late night cravings.
What are the healthy fats you put in your coffee on keto?
- Butter- Grass fed butter is recommended. I buy grass fed butter whenever I can or use a good quality butter and I always use salted. IMHO, salted butter tastes better.
- MCT oil- It's a Medium Chain Triglycerides ( a sort of fatty acid) derived from coconut oil. It converts straight to energy and the reason it's been added to the coffee.
- Ghee- Grass-fed ghee is used in place of butter and gives a more nuttier tastes to the coffee
- Heavy cream- When I want my coffee extra creamy or when I want to skip butter, I add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream in my coffee.
Can I make Bulletproof coffee recipe without MCT oil?
Yes, you can. MCT oil is used for it's ability to provide a quick source of energy. You can substitute it with any of the healthy fats above or plain coconut oil.
How to make keto butter coffee
Gather your ingredients. Use hot brewed coffee.
Just adding butter to coffee is not appealing if you stir it. The coffee and oils will separate and it's not pleasant to drink. The secret is you need to blend it for the fats to emulsify and make a creamy latte like beverage.
Blender or Frother
You can use a blender, stick blender(Immersion blender) or a frother to blend the coffee. Personally I feel like blender is best as it makes my coffee creamy in a matter of seconds. But if you are on the go or work in an office, a milk frother is a good option.
What else can I put in my keto coffee?
- Whey protein powder - If you want to make your keto butter coffee a complete meal you can add in proteins like a half a scoop of unflavored protein powder or vanilla protein powder.
- Collagen Peptides- another great addition to your coffee is collagen which is beneficial to your hair, skin, nails and joints. I personally use a marine collagen but you can use unflavored or flavored varieties.
- Sweeteners- Though original recipe doesn't call for sweeteners and the purists would say it breaks your fast, I like to add a teaspoon of caramel sugar free syrup or packet of stevia blend to my bulletproof coffee.
Add spices to your keto coffee
You can take your bulletproof coffee to the next level by using certain spices to increase it's effectiveness and for extra benefits. Use from a pinch up to ¼tsp of each.
- Cinnamon- stabilizes blood sugar
- Cayenne - increases metabolism
- Turmeric/Black pepper - anti inflammatory
- Salt- reduce keto flu
- Nutmeg - helps utilize fats better
Keto Bulletproof Coffee (Butter Coffee)
- Blender, Milk Frother
- 8 to 10 ounce coffee, brewed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil or Coconut oil* (See Notes)
- Sweetener (Optional)
- Add brewed coffee, butter and MCT oil or coconut oil to the blender. Add your preferred sweetener if you are using any. Blend until it's frothy.
- Pour to your favorite coffee mug and enjoy.