Have strawberry jam on keto with this super simple recipe. It's easy to make and has only 4 ingredients.
You don't have to miss strawberry jam on keto. I did initially until I started making this and I immediately fell in love. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and you only need a few ingredients. Buying some strawberries, fresh or frozen is better than perusing the isles for keto or low carb strawberry jams, IMHO.
Well, it doesn't exactly taste like the store bought sugar and carb laden version but comes pretty close to it. It feels like I'm eating unhealthy whereas I'm eating something which doesn't spike my blood sugar and tastes so darn delicious.
What do you need to make this easy keto strawberry jam?
- Strawberries- fresh or frozen
- Sweetener - Erythritol, Xylitol or Monk fruit blend
- Lemon juice
- Thickener- Chia seeds or xanthan gum
Here are some answers to your most common questions about this sugar free strawberry jam.
Is strawberry Keto?
Yes, strawberries are keto friendly. Most berries are. You don't want to overdo them as fruits in general are high in carbs.
Fresh or frozen strawberries?
You can use either one. I use frozen strawberries as I always have a bag in the freezer for smoothies.
How to thicken the keto strawberry jam?
Since we can't use pectin which is basically sugar to thicken the jam, we can use chia seeds or xanthan gum. I like chia seeds as it mimics the strawberry seeds. You need to add chia seeds once you finish cooking the strawberries and leave it for about 10 minutes.
If using xanthan gum, you need to use a pinch or an ⅛th of a teaspoon for this recipe.
How do you make keto strawberry jam smooth?
I like to leave it chunky. But if you want to make your keto jam smooth, you can blend your strawberries before making jam or after cooking it down. After blending bring it to the pot again and add the chia seeds and let it cool.
How to make the keto strawberry jam
Gather all your ingredients. Strawberries, sweetener, lemon juice, xanthan gum if you're using.
Add the ingredients to a pan and cook on medium high heat. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
When the strawberries are cooked mash them with the back of your spoon.
Switch off the fire and add chia seeds. Leave it on the stove till the chia seeds bloom and the jam cools.
Store in an airtight container or a mason jar. And store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
What can you use this low carb strawberry jam for
- You can use it on toasts. I like using it on my 90 second keto low carb microwave bread.
- You can add it to your favorite keto ice creams.
- Top chia puddings with this jam or layer it with chia pudding and peanut butter to make chia pudding parfaits.
Easy Keto Strawberry Jam
- 1 lb strawberries fresh or frozen
- 3 tablespoon sweetener erythritol, xylitol or monk fruit blend
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Gather all your ingredients. Strawberries, sweetener and lemon juice.
- Add the ingredients to a pan and cook on medium high heat. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- When the strawberries are cooked mash them with the back of your spoon. Let it cook for a few more minutes to reduce moisture.
- Switch off the fire and add chia seeds. Leave it on the stove till the chia seeds bloom and the jam cools.
- Store in an airtight container or a mason jar. And store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.