The delicious red rice is a staple in my country.This long grain beauty clothed in a red husk is minimally processed and has a high nutritional value.When cooked it imparts a deep rich color which is an absolute beauty.I have tried cooking brown rice and every time it fails to satisfy me.Even if I soak it for hours and hours and add bucketfuls of water or stock it never gets done properly but the red rice cooks fast and has a nutty flavor(yeah,when I mean cooked,it’s fully cooked and not make you feel you’re tasting soaked rice after simmering for half an hour as in the case of brown rice.) .
- Wash the rice and soak it for half an hour to one hour.
- Strain the rice and add 3 cups of water,salt and all the ingredients except coconut milk.
- Boil until the rice becomes mushy and the water evaporates and press with the back of a spoon to mash the rice and garlic lightly.
- Add the coconut milk,stir and simmer till bubbles start to appear.Switch off the fire immediately.
- Serve warm with pickle or any side of your choice.
- If it gets thick,you can add a little warm water or serve it as it is.