That was a lot of pink's for me...Even though I'm not much of a pink fan,rather a pinkish purple person,I love seeing pink on lovely little girls..When I step into a clothing store for my guys,I can't help but glance at those wonderful cute little pink gowns.
Having blurted out my thoughts,I move onto more serious business.The pink is all about the Breast Cancer Awareness Program in the month of October.This post is dedicated to all the wonderful women out there who are battling it.
Having lost my paternal grandmother for cancer,I know how tough it is.Even though I was too young to understand what's going on,I still got vivid images of my granny with the life supporting tubes and my mom and dad along her side.
There is still hope.Two of our fellow food bloggers of the UAE, Rajani at Pickle-in-d-Middle and Lin at Lin's doggie treats are donating 10% of their October sales to Safe & Sound AE (The cancer awareness programme in the UAE).If you are in the vicinity,drop by at the Dubai Garden Center at Shaikh Zayed Road for some wonderful pickles and homemade doggie treats for your pets.Check out their Facebook pages for more info.
Our fellow Fooderati friends have contributed with lovely pink themed posts.Check it out here.
*For the soaking syrup
½ tin condensed milk
½ tin milk(same size as the condensed milk)
few drops of red coloring
*For the frosting
250 ml Whipping cream
2 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
few drops of red coloring
- For the sponge cake,beat the egg whites separately until the soft peaks form.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy.Sift the flour and baking powder and fold in to the mixture.
- Then fold in the beaten egg whites gently.add the essence.
- Mix the milk and melted butter,add it to the cake mixture.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven(350 F) for about 15 to 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- For the syrup,mix the condensed milk and normal milk and add the coloring.Prick the cake till the bottom and pour the syrup over cake completely covering it.
- For the frosting,whip the cream till thick and add the sugar and coloring.Spread over the cake.
- garnish with fruits and nuts.
- I've used a sponge cake,but you can use a white cake mix too.
- Fold in the egg white carefully into the mixture.Do not beat or overfold as this will collapse the cake.
- Be sure to prick the cake well with a fork till the bottom for the syrup to soak in even it means you have to tear the cake. 🙂
- I have garnished with what I had in hand, maraschino cherries and pistachios.You can use fresh fruits.