That was a lovely Saturday morning,a weekend.The early risers,me and my little one,the younger of the twin,Ahi,were having our breakfast on the balcony while he was playing with his blocks.After having built the roof to his house,I went onto finishing my porridge while feeding him.He took the remainder of blocks and started stacking it up on top of the roof till he used all the pieces.He took a step back,scrutinized the structure he built and with eyes wide,he blurts out.
“Mama,this is the tallest building I’ve ever seen.”
For a moment,I was stunned to hear what my three year old is saying.The exact same words with the emphasis on ‘ever seen’.Then I burst out laughing.
It dawned on me,that my babies are growing up.It felt like yesterday,that they started to walk and talk,barely able to speak,having a time stringing words together.But,Mashaallah,now they speak clearly and I’m amazed at the things they tell me,often making me burst out in laughter or wondering where did they come across such words.
Just the other day,the elder of the twin,Ammar,comes to me in the kitchen,asks me what I’m doing.”Cutting beets to cook for you.”I replied.”I love beets“,he says.Next he points at the onions and asks me about them.
“They are to cook with the beets.” I say.Then he says.”Mama,Don’t use onions.They don’t have flavor.”
I was like “How in the world do you know about flavor?” .”I just know” came the answer.
How come my three year old is talking about flavor to me? I can’t recall using the word flavor around the house.Where could he possibly have picked it up to remember it,I wonder.
I love those precious moments with my kids.I so want to cling to them I wish I could safeguard them in a treasure chest to be discovered again.And again.
So for my growing little munchkins,I make their favorite cookies.Ammar doesn’t like walnuts,they’re sometimes bitter for him or he doesn’t want to eat bugs.Ahi is not very fond of oats.So,I combined both the ingredients in a form they’ve come to like,cookies.
Walnuts are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids that has a lot of health benefits ranging from cardiovascular protection,mental function and anti-inflammatory properties.Steel cut or plain rolled oats,has fiber,significant mineral and vitamin contents making it one of the healthiest foods.
The cookies are crunchy,with chopped walnuts in every bite,the distinct flavor of brown sugar combined with cinnamon,makes you want to reach for more.I bake them once or twice a week as it finishes fast.
So,if you or your kids aren’t fond of oats or walnuts,you now know what to do!
Oats and Walnut Cookies
1/2 cup wholewheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats plain
1/2 cup walnuts chopped
1/3 cup flavorless oil(I used Canola)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence(Can use cinnamon powder 1/4 tsp)
8 pieces cooking chocolate
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tsp sugar
- Whisk the egg with the sugar.add oil and whisk till well combined.
- In a separate bowl,mix the flours,baking powder,oats and walnuts.add a pinch of salt.Add cinnamon if you’re using.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients slowly,mixing both.
- Mix with a spoon until it’s combined.
- Take out a piece of dough,flatten it in the palm and place it in a cookie sheet.Or you can use cookie cutters,apply oil in the cutter and flatten some dough in it according to shape.Dough will be too sticky to roll out.
- Once the shapes are made,bake it in a preheated 180 degrees Celsius oven for about 20 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Cool it in a wire rack.Once cooled store in an airtight container.
- Make the chocolate drizzle by melting chocolate and water,add the cornstarch and sugar and whisk until it thickens to a pouring consistency.Drizzle it on the cooled cookies.
The chocolate drizzle is optional.I’ve used to make the cookies look appealing to my boys.