Learn how to make this easy keto pumpkin mug cake in just 2 minutes. Seriously, it's one of the best pumpkin mug cakes you'll ever eat!
Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake
If you are looking for an easy and quick dessert this pumpkin season, you'll love this keto pumpkin mug cake.
All it takes is a few ingredients and 5 minutes! And, you have a quick dessert for a snack or breakfast with a cup of coffee!
I tested the recipe several times changing the quantities of the ingredients and finally nailed the best pumpkin mug cake. I don't use the word best lightly. This mug cake is tender, moist, not overly sweetened and delicious all the while being very low in carb.
I tested it after 24 hours in the fridge and it was still moist and tender and not dense at all.
What is keto cake in a mug?
It's a single serving of cake made with keto or low carb ingredients in a mug in the microwave in less than 2 minutes.
It's great for portion control. My recipe makes a large mug cake and I like to make it in two ramekins so I can save one for later.
The keto mug cake can be made in the oven too if you are not a microwave user.
The ingredient list is simple and might seem long, as I have included a combination of flours and oils but trust me on this. They will yield the best mug cake you'll ever have!
- Melted butter
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
I like using oil in cake recipes as they produce a tender crumb. You can skip the melted butter entirely and add an additional tablespoon of oil. But I like to combine both for the buttery taste and tender crumb.
Use anyone of the oils below.
- Avocado oil
- Light olive oil
Blanched almond flour is best for keto cake recipes as they behave similar to regular flour. Coconut flour absorbs moisture and together these two gluten free flours yield fantastic results.
You can use a granulated sweetener for this mug cake. My top recommendations are
- Xylitol - can be dangerous to pets so make sure you keep this well away from them if you're using
- Lakanto- monk fruit blend
- Allulose - is less sweeter and you'd need to use an extra tablespoon of allulose
For the Pumpkin puree, make sure you buy pure, natural pumpkin puree with no other ingredients except pumpkin, and NOT the pumpkin pie filling.
Try my easy homemade pumpkin pie spice to make this pumpkin mug cake.
Make sure your baking powder is not expired and still fresh. I toss out any unused baking powders every 6 months.
How to make low carb pumpkin mug cake
Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl or a microwave safe mug. If you are using a mug, you can melt the butter in the mug first and add the rest of the ingredients.
Mix well until there are no lumps and thoroughly combined.
Pour in to greased ramekins.
Microwave each ramekin for 90 seconds. Let it cool for a minute or two. Alternatively, bake in a preheated oven at 350o Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
Serve with whipped cream and crushed pecan.
How to store
You can store the mug cake covered in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. Reheat the cake in the microwave before eating. Freeze the cake up to 3 months in a container or zip lock bags. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
How to serve
The mug cake tastes delicious on it's own but I like to go a bit extra and top it with whipped cream and crushed pecans. Divine!
You can mix in pecan pieces or almonds in the batter for a nutty pumpkin mug cake.
They can be a meal on it's own for breakfast with cup of coffee ,a great snack or a little something indulgent after dinner!
More pumpkin recipes you'll love
- Starbucks Copycat Keto Pumpkin Cold Brew
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Milk Toffee
- Pumpkin Curry
The Best Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 egg large
- 1 ½ tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 2 tablespoon erythritol
- 2 tablespoon pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- ¾ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Whipped cream
- handful of crushed pecans
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl or a large microwave safe mug. If you are using a mug, melt the butter first.
- Mix well until thoroughly combined and no lumps.
- Add the batter to two greased ramekins.
- Microwave each ramekin for 90 seconds. The top should look cooked and a bit fluffy. If it's a single mug, cook it for about 1 minute and 50 seconds. Alternatively, bake in a preheated oven at 350° F for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream and crushed pecans.
Leave a Reply