Keema Curry with vegetables is a great way to get in more veggies with a delectable minced meat base. An easy and quick weeknight meal that can be paired with rice or roti.
Keema Curry with Vegetables
If you want an easy, quick meal with minced meat that ticks all the right boxes look no further. This dish is on weekly rotation in my house. We all love it. My kids don’t know they are getting a dose of vegetables with one of their favourite curries.
It pairs nicely with roti or rice. I have homemade wholewheat roti featured in the photos. And that’s what my husband and kids use to scoop out this wonderful curry.
For me, nothing beats a bowl of steamy rice with ladles of keema curry on top. And a side of salad or cucumbers.
I get my minced meat at Costco in bulk. That’s very cost effective and I stretch it out to last a month. I portion out the meat into 500g (1.1 pounds) packs and freeze it. I thaw it overnight in the counter whenever I want some mince for a meal next day. If I forget to thaw, I just nuke in the microwave till it’s defrosted. So there are quite a few minced meat dishes on rotation in my house.
This dish is so versatile. It falls into the category of Cook once, eat it in different ways. Here are some of the things I’ve done using this keema curry.
- Serve with roti or on a bed of rice
- Mix into spaghetti or macaroni
- Stuff them in burger buns and call them sloppy joes
- Great on toast
- Amazing on pizza( heat the curry till it’s dry) I’ve packed these in my kids lunch box too.
- Serve it on mashed potatoes. Did you see my last post on the best fluffy garlic mashed potatoes with keema curry on top? Amazing !!! Definitely worth checking it out if you have leftover mash from the holiday meal.
Keema Curry with Vegetables
- 500 g(around 1 pound) minced beef or lamb
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tsp ginger & garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 cup carrot thinly grated
- 1/2 cup zucchini thinly grated
- 1 cup crushed tomato or tomato puree(passata)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup green peas
- coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the minced meat and cook, breaking it up as you go, until it changes from pink to light brown. Add the ginger & garlic paste. Cook it until raw smell disappears.
- Add salt, spices and oregano. Mix it well and continue to cook the meat. Add the grated carrot, zucchini and tomato puree.
- Add water, give it a stir. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. Add the peas. Continue to cook for 5 minutes until the peas are heated through.
- Turn of the heat and check seasoning. Add more salt if you need to. Garnish with coriander and serve with roti, rice or anyway you like.
- Can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days.
- Freezes well.