This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my privacy and disclosure policy.
Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken is an easy and delicious meal your whole family will love! Crispy, flavorful chicken coated in a sweet sticky teriyaki sauce, it's a must-try!
Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken
If you are looking for an easy dinner that tastes like your favorite Asian takeout, look no further than this Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken recipe.
I will show you how to make delicious and healthy dish that has so much flavor and is better than take-out.
We love teriyaki chicken but nothing beats like making it at home and watching your family enjoy every bite. Clean plates and happy hearts! We're big fans of Air Fryer General Tso's Chicken recipe too and these will feature in our weekly dinner menu.
This delicious teriyaki chicken is made by marinating the chicken in teriyaki sauce. This gives the chicken maximum flavor both inside and out. I will show you how to make teriyaki sauce in the recipe below but this dish can be made with a store-bought teriyaki sauce too. Chicken is then air fried so less oil is used and there's no mess on the stove top. That's a big win for me!
This recipe has no flour and if you're looking for gluten free teriyaki chicken recipe this will be perfect for you!
Teriyaki chicken is an easy dinner served with a bowl of fluffy white rice! My family loves it! This will be your favorite weeknight meal! Check how to make the perfect fluffy rice here. Teriyaki chicken can be served with a side of vegetables like steamed broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower. Serve with cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
If you're looking for more Air fryer recipes, check out my Air Fryer Recipes collection.
Why we love Air fryer Teriyaki Chicken Recipe:
- Delicious Asian take-out recipe made at home
- No deep frying and made with little oil
- Easy to make
What Is Teriyaki Chicken?
Teriyaki chicken is a Japanese way of cooking the chicken marinated with soy sauce, mirin (rice wine vinegar) and sugar.
Here in this part of the world, it's a poplar takeout dish where the chicken is often fried and tossed with the sweet, tangy and sticky teriyaki sauce.
- Chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- Cooking oil
- Sesame oil (optional)
- Homemade teriyaki sauce or store-bought sauce
- Sesame seeds and sliced green onions to garnish
- Ground black pepper
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
It's easy to make teriyaki sauce at home. All you need is to gather these ingredients and whisk them together until there are no lumps. Mirin or rice wine vinegar might not be availbale easily so I use rice vinegar instead. Substitute with white vinegar in a pinch.
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Corn starch
- Minced garlic
- Minced ginger
How To Make Teriyaki Chicken In Air Fryer
Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. To a mixing bowl, add chicken, ¼ cup of teriyaki sauce, ¼ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper and mix to coat. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Preheat Air fryer for 5 minutes at 375F. Place the chicken in a single layer in Air fryer. You can use foil in the air fryer basket to place your chicken. This is to make clean-up easier. If you prefer to skip using the foil, brush the air fryer basket with oil.
Air fry chicken at 400F for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Or the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F. Flip the chicken halfway through.
While the chicken is cooking in the Air fryer, heat oil in a skillet on medium high. Add the rest of the teriyaki sauce and cook until the sauce thickens around 3 to 4 minutes.
Toss the air fried chicken in the sauce to coat. Add 1 or 2 teaspoon of sesame oil if using. Check and adjust seasoning. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- Preheat the Air fryer to cook faster.
- Cut chicken in to even sized pieces.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket. Place chicken in a single layer.
- Cook in batches if needed.
What Air Fryer to Use
Best Basket Type Air Fryer: Cosori 5.8 quart
Toaster Oven Style Air Fryer: Power Air Fryer
What To Serve Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken With
I like to serve this chicken with Basmati rice. Learn how to cook the perfect Basmati rice!
You can also serve it with brown rice, or any other grains. If you're watching your carbs cauliflower rice would be great.
Serve with steamed or Air-fried vegetables.
How To Store and Reheat
If you have any leftover teriyaki chicken, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Reheat them in the microwave until warm.
How To Freeze
To freeze, place the cooked chicken without the sauce in a zip lock bag and freeze for 3 months.
Defrost overnight in the fridge and air fry chicken until warm. Make a fresh batch of sauce and toss the chicken to coat.
More Air Fryer Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Air Fryer General Tso's Chicken
- Air Fryer Garlic Steak Bites
- Crispy and Juicy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Nugget
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you can give me a rating and comment! Share it with your family and friends! ❤️
Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 pound chicken thighs or breast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch or cornflour
- ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon sliced green onions
- To make the teriyaki sauce, whisk all the ingredients together until there are no lumps.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. To a mixing bowl, add chicken, ¼ cup of teriyaki sauce,¼ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper and mix to coat. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat Air fryer for 5 minutes at 375F. Place the chicken in a single layer in Air fryer.
- Air fry chicken at 400F for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Or the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F. Flip the chicken halfway through.
- While the chicken is cooking in the Air fryer, heat oil in a skillet on medium high. Add the rest of the teriyaki sauce, ¼ cup water and cook until the sauce thickens around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Toss the air-fried chicken in the sauce to coat. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of sesame oil if using. Check and adjust seasoning. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- Store - in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
- Reheat - in the microwave until warm.
- Freeze - cooked chicken in a ziplock bag in the freezer for 3 months. Reheat using your preferred method.
- Meal prep - marinate the chicken in the fridge for up to 24 hours covered. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and proceed with the recipe.