Stuffed Peppers with Rice & Ground Beef
An easy and delicious stuffed peppers recipe with rice and ground beef. Prep the filling in no time and toss it in the oven to bake so you make time for other important things. It's colorful and kid approved.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 bell peppers (capsicum) tops cut off
- 1 onion, medium chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chili (cayenne pepper) powder
- 1/4 cup passata (strained tomato puree)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1.5 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese of your choice (cheddar,mozzarella)
For the Sauce
- 1 cup passata
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
Rice & ground beef filling:
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high. Add the ground beef. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes until meat is browned.
Add the salt, paprika, chili powder, coriander and cumin to the browned beef. Cook for 1 minute mixing the spices with the beef.
Add onion and garlic. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until onion is translucent.
Add the cooked rice. Mix it in .
Add the passata and beef broth. Give it a good stir. Cook for another 5 minutes and remove from heat.
Preheat the oven to 220C/425F.
Pour the sauce into 13*9inch rectangular baking dish. Slice a small piece from the bottom of the pepper to make it stand upright. Fill halway through. Sprinkle shredded cheese. Fill the rest of the pepper. Place it in the baking dish. Fill the remaining bell peppers the same way, with a layer of cheese in the middle.
Place all the bell peppers in the dish. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil around the edges of the bell peppers. Sprinkle cheese on top of each. Cover the dish with a aluminuim foil.
Bake in the oven covered for 45 minutes. Take the foil off and bake for 15 minutes.
- You can add ground black pepper or red dried chili flakes to the sauce if you want to turn the heat up.
- Make ahead instructions: Fabulous for make ahead. The filling can be made ahead. Assemble the filled peppers but pour the sauce only when it's time to bake.
- Once baked it refrigerates well. Can be left for 3 days in the refrigerator. Leftovers taste delicious.