This delicious and comforting Instant Pot chicken quinoa vegetable soup comes together in under 10 minutes. A filling and hearty meal in no time!
Chicken quinoa veggie soup
You know you have a keeper when you resort to making this soup as soon as you make a fresh batch of home made chicken stock. I have made this soup several times and I absolutely love it. It’s hearty, filling and everybody gets to eat quinoa. Win, win !
Truth to be told, not everyone in my household likes to eat boiled quinoa. It’s an acquired taste. I first bought quinoa to replace rice in my diet. And it seemed easy to cook and pack for an office lunch for my husband. Then I was giving him a quinoa lunch regularly. He politely let me know he was not a fan. There goes the ease of making lunch out the door!
My kids didn’t like them either. They’d have a few mouthfuls of the quinoa and ask for something else at dinner. In the end I was the only one in the household eating quinoa.
When I came across a quinoa soup recipe I marvelled at the idea. The quinoa cooked in a spiced delicious soupy broth seems more inviting than a plate of quinoa in front of you, right? I could get my kids to eat any soup with chicken in it. So why not try adding chicken to a quinoa soup. They didn’t go berserk over it but they didn’t ask for any other meals either. You get the idea! This mom can live with that.
What’s in it
This is the kind of soup that you eat sitting in a comfy couch, a warm cozy blanket around you and you finish reading that book from cover to cover. It’s filling, warm and keeps you satisfied.
- Shredded chicken
All this goodness cooked in my homemade spiced chicken stock in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot to the rescue
I have made this in the stove and the Instant Pot. I like the Instant Pot version better. It need less stock and the Instant Pot locks in the flavor. And it’s fast ,you guys! If you have all the ingredients in hand you can get this soup on the table in no time. Trust me!
Tips to make a delicious soup
- Use white quinoa for fast cooking.
- Make sure to rinse the quinoa on a strainer under running water to get rid of the saponins which cause the bitterness. I used organic white quinoa which isn’t bitter at all.
- Chicken thighs or breasts can be used. I used chicken breasts. Cut the breast to at least 3 pieces to cook evenly with everything else.
- It might seem brothy when you finish cooking. Let it rest a few minutes. Quinoa absorbs water like crazy. If you still want a brothy soup after that you can add more stock.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrot diced
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 chicken breast
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup white quinoa rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can(540ml) white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- Press the 'Saute" button in Instant Pot. When it reads 'Hot' add oil.
- Add onion,minced garlic and cook until soft. Add tomatoes, carrot, cumin, coriander and salt. Cook till the tomatoes become soft.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 3 chunks each and add to the pot. Mix and cook for 2 more minutes. Add rinsed and drained quinoa. Pour in the broth.
- Lock the lid in place and make sure the valve is closed. Cancel the Saute funtion and press the 'Pressure Cook" button. Set the timer for 7 mins.
- When the timer is up, release the pressure manually by turning the valve to vent position.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return to the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the rinsed and drained beans, spinach and black pepper. You can press the saute button and heat. I place the lid back and let the remaing heat warm the beans and spinach.