Sometimes you wish for uninterrupted "me time"- the most precious word and activity in the world of motherhood.Oh yeah..! .To cook the food,to shoot some pictures,to blog about it,you need peace.But Alas! when I have all the uninterrupted time in the world now that the kids are asleep,suddenly I realize it's too late at night and I'm dozing off,that I have a whole lot of shopping and cooking to do tomorrow for Eid.So,I'll leave you with a simple and easy to make recipe that have made it's way into my weekly menus which goes well rotis.
I'm not much of a minced meat user,but was tempted to buy it after I saw a cooking program in which they were turned into beautiful burgers.But I do make my Mediterranean Rice with Minced Meat and Chickpeas which is a family favorite quite often,to which the recipe will follow later.
The best thing about this dish is the tomato sauce is made with veggies and my kids who don't have a clue about it really like this.Bravo ! for me...
It tastes great in wraps with some shredded lettuce for that crunch.And makes a great office lunch for my hubby.
Curried Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
400 g minced meat
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 green chilli finely chopped
handful of cilantro finely chopped
handful of breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
salt to taste
pinch of crushed pepper
*for the sauce
3 big tomatoes chopped
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 of medium sized carrot roughly chopped
1/2 of red bell pepper chopped
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 cumin powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cream(optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatball.Do not over mix.Just a couple of strokes and make it into balls.
- Add some oil to the pan and shallow fry the meatballs.
- For the sauce,heat some olive oil in a pan,add the onions and garlic and the let the onions sweat.
- Add all the ingredients except the cream,stir fry it for 1 or 2 minutes and add enough water,about 1 cup and the let the sauce cook.
- Once the vegetables are tender,puree the mixture in a blender.
- Add it to the meatballs and simmer for about 5 mins.Add the cream.
- Check seasoning.
- The quantities mentioned here are just a guide as I eyeballed it.Play around with the quantities.
- I've slightly flattened my meatballs for the ease of shallow frying.
- You can add more water if you want the sauce to be thin.
- Add more sugar depending on the tartness of your tomatoes.
- Add enough breadcrumbs to hold your meatball together.