The delicious red rice is a staple in my country.This long grain beauty clothed in a red husk is minimally processed and has a high nutritional value.When cooked it imparts a deep rich color which is an absolute beauty.I have tried cooking brown rice and every time it fails to satisfy me.Even if I soak it for hours and hours and add bucketfuls of water or stock it never gets done properly but the red rice cooks fast and has a nutty flavor(yeah,when I mean cooked,it's fully cooked and not make you feel you're tasting soaked rice after simmering for half an hour as in the case of brown rice.) .
This dish is enjoyed on lazy weekend mornings and a staple in my household.Kids love it as it is and grown ups with a touch of spice and heat,like the hot mango pickle that I've used here or a spicy sambol.
Back at home,often the porridge will be mixed with juiced greens such as brahmi leaves for extra nutrition.It's also considered the poor man's diet because of the need for minimal day-to-day ingredients and ease of cooking.
Here's the recipe for this hearty and healthy breakfast.
Red Rice Porridge
1 cup Red Raw Rice
3 cups water
2 sticks Cinnamon
2'' inch Ginger
5 cloves Garlic
5 cardomom pods
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 1/4 cup thin coconut milk
1/4 cup thick coconut milk
2 or 3 pepper corns crushed
- Wash the rice and soak it for half an hour to one hour.
- Strain the rice and add 3 cups of water,salt and all the ingredients except coconut milk.
- Boil until the rice becomes mushy and the water evaporates and press with the back of a spoon to mash the rice and garlic lightly.
- Add the coconut milk,stir and simmer till bubbles start to appear.Switch off the fire immediately.
- Serve warm with pickle or any side of your choice.
- If it gets thick,you can add a little warm water or serve it as it is.