Happy Diwali for all you lovely people out there celebrating!
It's so nice to see the atmosphere here,even though this part of the town is very quiet.Loud and happy chit-chat of the neighbors in the corridors who come out to exchange sweets,children clad in their best clothes running around and in the night the darkness lights up with all those multi-colored mini lights hanging up on the balconies adding a true festive spirit into the air.
And now,I present this mango cheesecake though we're way past the mango season.Poor hubby thought that mangoes which look plump,juicy and bright colored will surely taste good.But he was wrong.The mangoes weren't that bad but they failed to impress me,me who grew up with a mom who was addicted to mangoes.
After making Mango Achcharu(mango pieces smothered in salt,chilli powder,sugar and vinegar,doesn't this mix tickle your tastebuds? Not to worry,I'll post the recipe when I get a bag of mangoes to finish),and numbing my tongue being greedy with this I hopped onto making something creamy and soothing to my palate.
Have you ever bitten into creamy lusciousness that leave you unsatisfied with just a piece,you can't stop eating,your mind focusing sharply on the wonderful mix of magic hitting your taste buds craving for more?
If not,you should try this out.I barely left anything for my folks,let alone to take some shots.
I've a full cream version of the recipe but I adapted and tweaked the recipe as in adding cocoa powder to the crust, from Sanjeev Kapoor's book "Tasty Eating for Healthy Living" for a guilt free dessert attack.
No Bake Mango Cheesecake with Mango Sauce
15 bran or digestive biscuits
4 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp confectioner's sugar
1 cup low-fat milk
1/2 cup condensed milk
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp gelatin
1 1/2 cups drained low-fat yogurt
1 packet Philadelphia cream cheese(I used this instead of 2 cups cottage cheese)
2 cups mango pulp
1/2 tsp mango essence(If you have)
1/2 cup sugar,powdered
2 mango chopped
1/2 tsp cornflour
1/2 cup water
sugar to taste
- Crush the biscuits to a coarse powder,add the other ingredients,and mix,then place it in a springform pan(I used 9' inch),press it lightly and refrigerate.
- For the filling,heat the milk and the condensed milk in a pan.Mix the cornflour in a little milk and add it to the hot milk.Cook stirring continuously,till it becomes thick and keep it aside.
- Add about 1/4 cup of boiling water to the gelatin,mix it till it completely dissolves and set aside.
- Mix the milk mixture,dissolved gelatin,mango pulp,cream cheese,yogurt,sugar and blend till everything is well incorporated.Pour on top of the biscuit layer and refrigerate preferably overnight.
- For the sauce,mix the mango,sugar and water in a pan and cook till the sugar dissolves and the mangoes are cooked.Mix the cornflour in a bit of water and add it to the mango mixture and cook till it thickens a bit.Don't make it too saucy,you need mango pieces in it.
- Pour the sauce on top of the cheesecake when serving.