There's so much to do in this blessed month of Ramadan.First let me wish my readers a Blessed Ramadan,even though this comes pretty late it's something I had to do now that I have followers.Thanks guys for making my days!!
Even though what I am not going to say next is not in anyway related to food blogging,I need to get it out and across.You must have heard about the famine in Africa,specially in Somalia.There were about 29,000 child deaths in the past 9 months.Having lost a baby brother when growing up and as a mother of two little kids I felt strongly about this.Specially knowing that,this could be avoided with a bit of help from all of us.Here in Dubai,we have SMS services that donate money and Government sites where you can login and deposit your Sadaqatul Fitr or charity online.Spread the word around.Please ask dua for them specially when breaking fast. And find out how you can help from your country or area.
Having said that,in this holy month there are always Iftar get together's to look forward to.Back at home,a quite popular Iftar dinner menu is string hoppers made with either wheat flour or rice flour cause it makes a light dinner.Making it from scratch looked quite labourous to me,but the elders enjoyed it and it was team work.How I miss those days!
So,here in Dubai,I was happy to find ready-made string hoppers making it easy for me to throw an Iftar dinner without much hassle.This is what I did when one of our friends came for Iftar the other day and it made a tasty light dinner perfect for Ramadan nights.
This recipe was adapted from Vahchef in youtube.My trusted source for the most delicious recipes.Love his cooking and how he enjoys food.The string-hoppers i used are made from rice flour and they were quite big.I needed about a 10 of those.You can use rice noodles too for this.Cook and drain according to package instructions and you are ready to go.
I served the biryani with Raita and Chicken 65.
Here's the Recipe
Shrimp String-hoppers Biryani
500 g Shrimps cleaned
10 nos String-hoppers broken
2 Cardomom pods
2''inch Cinnamon stick
1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp Biryani Masala(I used Shan Bombay Biryani Masala)
1/2 cup Plain yogurt
1/2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 cup Coriander leaves
Fried Onions(I used the store-bought one)
few mint leaves
3 tbsp Oil + 2 tbsp Ghee
- Marinade the ship with ginger garlic paste,chilli,coriander and turmeric powders.Add about 1/2 tsp salt.
- Heat oil and ghee in a vessel,add the shrimp by batches and lightly fry it.
- Add the whole spices to that same oil,saute for a few seconds and add in the yogurt,half of the coriander leaves,mint leaves,fried onions,biryani masala,salt and cook for about 2 to 3 mins.
- Add in the shrimps to the mixture,then fold the string-hoppers in to the mixture taking care not to mush it.Adjust seasoning.
- Sprinkle the remaining coriander leaves,some fried onions and few drops of ghee and cook on low heat,covered for about 5 mins.
* Adjust the spices best suited to your taste.
I am submitting this post to few of the Ramadan events.
Joy from fasting to feasting IV by Lubna
Iftar nights by Jabeen